Magnetic Properties ??? Is it possible ?

vertical horizons

I'm working on a prototype that would (hopefully in reality) react a certain way when introduced to a magnetic field.

Is it possible to make components of an assembly animate, imitating how objects would react towards that magnetic field? Or, is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Basically, what I'm asking is, could you give a few of the components properties so that other components would either pull towards them or repel away from them?

The short answer is no. There are many 3rd party add-ins for solidworks but we are talking about simulation, not in the assembly per say. There are many online calculators.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp?calcType=block

And there are ways you can trick Solidworks into simulating something like a magnet but not what you are trying to do as far as i know.

You might be able to achieve a magnetic field effect with 3ds Max via its gravity or force field features. Google "3ds max gravity simulation" and "3ds max force fields".

yeah there are other modeling programs that will do it. Blender is free and has a magnetic field generator for particle systems in it.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/physics/force_fields/types/magnetic.html

You can export your models from Solidworks and import them into Blender but be aware Blender is not the most straight forward to learn. It is more akin to a photo editing software than something like Solidworks in terms of interface.