In need of detailed spring step by step

ira

Hello everyone,

I am trying to morph over from Turbocad to solidworks but I am not doeng very well. I need someone here to give me a detailled method to make a compression spring. I am a real newcomer, so please detail it for me. I need to make a bunch of springs from 1 1/2" long to 4" long and from 1/2" in od to 1 1/2" od, using vareying thicknesses of piano wire for the spring.

Isaac Sarnoff

Welcome aboard Isaac! Which version of Solidworks are you using? Files are not backwards compatible so a file from 2017 won't open with a feature rich "tree".

There are two main methods for making a spring. Sweep along path with a twist or Sweep along helix. The main difference in the end result is the alignment of the profile. When sweeping along path with a twist the profile gets distorted. For the past few versions of Solidworks the Sweep feature has an option called "Circular Profile" that allows you to just draw a helix(found on the curves menu) without having to create the extra plane/sketch for a circular profile spring.

I don't have any videos to show of making a spring that are open to the public but here are a few resources.

On my site i have a long video detailing the process of cutting threads. Its the same as making a spring you just have to change the profile and do a solid Sweep instead of a Sweep-cut.

https://www.solidbox.tv/course/solidworks-cutting-threads/

My site is free to register and no spam to your inbox from the site.

The next resource is one of the spring companies i frequently buy from. They not only have a huge catalog of springs but you can configure and download CAD models of the spring at full compression, extension or pick a value in between.

https://www.asraymond.com/

lastly one of the other members sent me this document to upload for you.

Step by Step Outline for E Z Spring.zip

• 5 weeks later...