Installing from Autodesk virtual agent

DODGE

Hi Guys

I just downloaded Revit 2018 trial from Autodesk virtual agent, thought i would give this software a go and see what its like, it comes in 3 parts and i have downloaded it all.

After i have downloaded Parts 1 2 and 3, I can they are all exe files.

How do i load the software?

Do i just double click part 1 and let it go, and will it find and install parts 2 and 3 without me double clicking those? :cry:

Or do i have to double click each part and run them.

If somebody could step me thru it, i would be very gratefull.

Thanks Guys

Did you create a Restore point yet?

Did you do the three recommend steps prior to installation as outlined on the AutoDesk website?

If it were me I'd double-click the first executable file and watch what happens. Be brave. What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks Guys

I did bite the bullet and clicked the number 1 exe file, it all seemed to extract and load ok into the C: drive. After I installed and opened the program it all seemed to be ok.

When I started playing around with the software a bit, I noticed the families and templates were missing.

Am I missing something here, and ideas how I would now load those. Is it best to uninstall the program and install again, or just do a repair install?

Any Ideas? :cry:

Thanks Guys.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help.

I followed the Autodesk link you posted, and uninstalled the content libraries as instructed, I then ran the original installer again.

When I open the FILE – OPTIONS – FILE LOCATIONS, the project template files box above the, Default path for user files, is empty.

It says to click the green + sign, and set the default paths, but the default paths look like they are already set? Then it says to click the places button to set the library paths, how do I set the library paths once I click the places button?

Can you step me through how I set the library paths, after I click the places button? I’m not sure what I do once I click this button, I know it sounds a dumb question, but it really annoys me when companies like Autodesk assume, just because you use their software, you are some sort of computer guru, it also bugs me why this just doesn’t all install without all this hassle.

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help.

I followed the Autodesk link you posted, and uninstalled the content libraries as instructed, I then ran the original installer again.

When I open the FILE – OPTIONS – FILE LOCATIONS, the project template files box above the, Default path for user files, is empty.

It says to click the green + sign, and set the default paths, but the default paths look like they are already set? Then it says to click the places button to set the library paths, how do I set the library paths once I click the places button?

Can you step me through how I set the library paths, after I click the places button? I’m not sure what I do once I click this button, I know it sounds a dumb question, but it really annoys me when companies like Autodesk assume, just because you use their software, you are some sort of computer guru, it also bugs me why this just doesn’t all install without all this hassle.

Thanks in advance

The green plus sign is to add a Revit template file (*.RTE file extension). The Places dialog is similar to the "Support Path" area of AutoCAD - it simply defines where Revit will look for things like Local Copies, Content Library, etc. Attached is a quick screenshot of mine setup for v2017. Highlight in Red is not default, but redefined to fit my office needs. Hope this helps.

01.jpg

Many thanks TZ

Nice straight forward explanation, I never feel confident playing around with files, if I don't know what I'm doing.

Got it all running ok now, so I guess I better start playing with it.

Thanks to all the others for your help also.

Cheers D 8)