How to trace

paddynel0

Hi all. I use solidworks 14 & autocad 07. I would like to learn how to trace / copy symbols & logos. I have tried importing an image and using the auto trace tool on solidworks however I find that this leaves a huge amount of work to repair the image. Is there any other way? A different program eg. Inkscape?

Please not I am not trying to copy the coca cola or Harley Davidson logo or anything like that.

Kind regards

Would help to know what exactly you are tracing?

My guess would be these are Raster Image files. If so, cleaning them up and improving the Quality of the image in something like GIMP or Photoshop before Vectorizing them in Inkscape or Illustrator will help. Other than that, I would use AutoCAD to trace them if they still do not look right after converting.

Remember using AutoCAD's SKETCH command with Type set to Polyline to trace areas off of Quad maps about a quarter century ago. Not knowing what the image looks like it might be what you're looking for.

Autodesk Impression is available as a free download for Autodesk Subscription customers which is supposed to be an upgraded version of SKETCH.

Uh, Impression was never an upgrade to the sketch command in AutoCAD. It was a stand alone program to bring in 2D autocad work and add color, fills, patterns and linestyles. I had in installed for several years. Perhaps you are in error ;)

Screenshot_2.jpg

Uh, Impression was never an upgrade to the sketch command in AutoCAD. It was a stand alone program to bring in 2D autocad work and add color, fills, patterns and linestyles. I had in installed for several years. Perhaps you are in error ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61926[/ATTACH]

Heard good things about it, but hadn't tried it. Even simple updates have to be installed by IT department now. Unless we really need it not worth the aggravation.

It was a good start but development stopped and issues were never fixed. Texture creation was a pain imho. Another could've been by Autodesk that became another never was :(