Managing Details with Windows Tags

CyberAngel

This sounded like a simple question, but I can't find a simple answer. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

We're reorganizing our detail library (again). Windows has a tag system that works for photos and Office docs, but it doesn't work for drawings. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd like to piggyback on these tags so that we can find details easily.

So far all I've found are utilities that add more layers of complexity. There's the "propulate" command in AutoCAD, but it only works within the software. I need something that works for everyone, even non-drafters.

So here's my question. Is there a simple way to implement Windows tags for drawings? By "simple" I mean on the level of toggling a Registry setting, not installing and learning new software.

Not sure how many but our library directory has multiple sub directories if I want a car go to \Cars. Are you using palettes and making groups rather than a 1000 blocks.

We have ours grouped using old fashioned menus and image selection.

One of our crew asked me today for something it was in 1st line of our menus if he had of looked.

In saying this we do have a lot of blocks that are not in our menu system and does require common sense looking at the name. Its saved in the I think we have one of them from 10 years ago.

Windows 7 choose medium icons shows the bitmap image of the dwg but pretty hard to tell sometimes what it is unles you save a certain zoomed in view as you close.