+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Question Viewports and Layer State Relation

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I have a drawing with multiple Viewports using different Layer States. How do I know which Layer State is being used in each Viewport.

Discipline
    Electrical
    isutheparambil's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Designer/Draftsman-Electrical / CAD Coordinator
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Details
    A qualified Electrical CAD Designer Draughtsman with a solid experience in Electrical CAD designing and drafting of Multi-storied building, Shopping complex, Palace, Mosque, Luxury Villas etc. with the design department of multinational companies for the various types of electrical design.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

One layer can be used for all the viewports.
    Each viewports can the option to on off or freez the same layer from the viewport itself.
    Clarify your actual requirement.

Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

I realize each viewport has the option to on off or freeze the same layer from viewport to itself, but if you have viewport A with Layer State 1 applied and & viewport B with Layers States 2 applied. How can i check that viewport A is actually using Layer State 1 and not Layer State 2? (other than manually applying each Later State and visually checking each to look if it correctly matches) is there some sort of property in the viewports that tells you which layer state is applied.

Computer Details
    CyberAngel's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Discipline
    Architectural
    CyberAngel's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Drafter
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Roofing and Waterproofing
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

As far as I know, there is no connection between layer states and viewport settings for layers. It could be a handy thing to have, but it's complicated to implement. You may be able to store a VIEW with a layer state, but I haven't worked with those.
    breaking AutoCAD on a regular basis since 1991

Discipline
    Electrical
    isutheparambil's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Designer/Draftsman-Electrical / CAD Coordinator
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Details
    A qualified Electrical CAD Designer Draughtsman with a solid experience in Electrical CAD designing and drafting of Multi-storied building, Shopping complex, Palace, Mosque, Luxury Villas etc. with the design department of multinational companies for the various types of electrical design.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tudors View Post
    I realize each viewport has the option to on off or freeze the same layer from viewport to itself, but if you have viewport A with Layer State 1 applied and & viewport B with Layers States 2 applied. How can i check that viewport A is actually using Layer State 1 and not Layer State 2? (other than manually applying each Later State and visually checking each to look if it correctly matches) is there some sort of property in the viewports that tells you which layer state is applied.
    There is a way that you can edit the description on the LAYERSTATE manager that as like "LAYERSTATE-1 for Layout-1"
    See the attached image.
    Hope this will helpful for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm81m0jqbzg1cab/test.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by isutheparambil; 16th Aug 2017 at 07:21 am. Reason: link missing

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberAngel View Post
    As far as I know, there is no connection between layer states and viewport settings for layers. It could be a handy thing to have, but it's complicated to implement. You may be able to store a VIEW with a layer state, but I haven't worked with those.
    CyberAngel is correct, additionally, you could use named Views, each of which can include what is called a layer SNAPSHOT.

When you select one of your named views, the layer snapshot will be activated, defining visibility of layers within the viewport.
    In that way when you click into a viewport to activate it, you can easily see the name of the saved view it is displaying, and you can select from any saved views in the .dwg, should you need to use a different one. Each saved VIEW will be predefined, including any current Layer settings (Snapshot), when created, if you choose the SAVE LAYER SNAPSHOT WITH VIEW option.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 17th Aug 2017 at 04:59 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.