Adding a new solid to an existing 3D object?

ping

Hello,

I'm using AutoCAD (2018 version) since yesterday, and the transition from Sketchup is rather rough. Thus I am in need of assistance. Honestly, I tried looking up the issues myself for the whole morning already, but I can't seem to understand the steps I'm supposed to take.

I'm trying to make the parts highlighted in blue (see attached picture, please) into a solid 3D object, that will be attached to the main existing object. But I have no idea as to how to achieve that. I added those two floating lines, but I can't seem to make anything out of it (when using the loft tool, I can't even select them? Should I even use the loft tool for this?).

makesolid.jpg

I can try to give some more information if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Regards,

Ping

Welcome to CADTutor ping. :)

This should help you get the hang of it.

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

Once you are absolutely sure you like what you have created, you can UNION it to the original 3D Solid.

Might want to work on a copy of your drawing, just to be safe, until you learn the ropes.

Hello Dadgad,

I will follow the tutorial you just gave to me, seems like I should indeed learn AutoCAD step by step.

Thank you so much for suggesting this. Hopefully I'll be able to make some progress.

Regards,

Ping

Very interesting tutorial, it helped me achieve the result I wanted. I made the corners in 2D and push/pulled them, and then attached them to the main solid model using Union.

ok.jpg

Thank you again.

Regards,

Ping

I figured that would do the trick.

There are lots of good tutorials here on CADTutor, another great place for Autocad newbies to learn the ropes is

https://www.mycadsite.com/

Well worth going through the lessons in order, as they will really save you a lot of time, while helping you build a solid foundation for your cad skills.

I used it about 9 years ago, when I started, and it was extremely well thought out, and really helped.

Much quicker than learning through trial and error.