extending an alignment - update profile?

idiggplants

ok, so a quick description. i have a surface and an alignment in a base drawing. both data referenced into a proposed drawing. i drew a profile from the alignment, it shows the surface... everything seemed good. recently, i extended the alignment further down the road... it extended the profile view, but the actual profile of the ground, and any pipes that i add to the profile, get cut off where the original alignment ended. there is no logical way to refresh the view so the rest of the stuff comes in. if anyone could help, that would be great

thanks!!

Somewhere in the profile definition process, there's a pair of boxes where you define the beginning and end points. Even though the alignment changes automatically, the profile (or the profile view) doesn't. Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't work with Civil 3D any more. Check all the places where the end point is listed.

Somewhere in the profile definition process, there's a pair of boxes where you define the beginning and end points. Even though the alignment changes automatically, the profile (or the profile view) doesn't. Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't work with Civil 3D any more. Check all the places where the end point is listed.

thanks for the response. i tried looking around for it, but everywhere i find the alignment end stationing listed, i am unable to change it. Typical autocad absurdity. im sure with the next release ill be able to design a 15 lane highway loopdy loop inversion, but streamline logical user interface? HA why bother?

do you know of another forum that i might get more traffic/answers for my question? thanks again!

everywhere i find the alignment end stationing listed, i am unable to change it. ...

do you know of another forum that i might get more traffic/answers for my question? thanks again!

Sorry, should have been more specific. Look for the profile and profile view definitions as well as the alignment's.

The only other help forum I know of is Autodesk's. I believe CadTutor is the best, that's why I'm here, but it may take time to get the right answer.

It may help to post (the significant bits of) your drawing so someone who has Civil 3D can look at it.

• 5 years later...

I am on 2022 and I am struggling with this same thing... The engineer did an entire project, so I dont want to have to redo all of the profiles and VC.  But they made the alignments are all the exact size... so large portions of pipe information are cut from the profiles.

My experience has been that editing the geometry or grips or segments of an alignment will only get you so far. In most cases it's less of a headache to draw the darn thing over from scratch.

If you have no choice about keeping the alignments, whenever you move the beginning station, you may have to add a station equation. Sorry, I have no practical experience with those.

• Like 1

Done a bit of redoing alignments but in CSD under CIV3D if extending at start need to set the start chainage to a -ve number not say 0.0 as it was previously this way the vertical design stays where it was, adding to end was not a problem. Did some change offset as well then vertical design would be off then have to edit.

We always surveyed past start and end of a job, the alignment often would start with a -ve value this allowed proper grading matching at start 0.0 same with end, when plotting just set limits 0.0 -> chend

Ensuring your alignments were long enough to cover the extent of things that could potentially be in the alignment area was paramount.  All of our engineers have over 3 years of experience... I just cannot wrap my head around how they  made such a short alignment  when it is connecting Major and Minor arterial.  

I thought I would be able to change the locking and  numbering, then extend the alignment in plan view, but it stays stuck in that exact position.  I cant believe there is not a way to do this.  AutoCAD...