Require method to import sketch to planar face

reggy

Good morning,

I was given a raster sketch of a logo, (jpg), and I converted it to vector, (dxf) in software called Magic Tracer, then I touched it up where I had to, to make it appropriate to extrude in Solidworks. I now have to make an extruded plate, 6" X 6" X 1/2" thick and I also need to import the vectorized sketch and place it in the center of this plate to both raise the logo lettering, and depress it, making two different models. What is the method I should use to import the vectorized sketch and snap it to the center of the extruded plate, so that I can raise and depress it?

Thank you,

Reginald

Reggy, i was away on vacation and didn't see this. In case anyone else is looking there are some options you have for this.

1. When in a part you can select a plane or planar face and then go to Insert > DXF/DWG. It will walk you through the conversion process.

2. You can actually insert a sketch picture and if it has good enough contrast there is an option(have to go into add ins to turn it on) called "Autotrace". This is a second menu found by clicking the arrow in the Sketch Picture properties that shows up in the feature manager. Based on the contrast of the picture you can get it to create a sketch for you.

As far as snapping it to the center that's a bit more difficult. What i would do is create a point at the center of your plate, and then in the dxf/vectorized sketch place a sketch point there as well. make sure Instant 3d and Instant 2d are off so you can't manually move the points around. Then you can select all the sketch entities and move them based on the sketch points. As a note when you insert a DXF there is a portion of the conversion process that lets you move the sketch around and i think you can use "point to point" but can't remember off the top of my head.

This is a reply in case someone in the future has a similar need

You can also open the dxf directly into SW (as a drawing)

select/copy the outline sketch then paste it directly into you sketch for your extrude.

Depending up on your versions (some have issues)

you can copy the outline in Autocad and again paste

right into your sketch.

I remember SW 2013 this would not work but 2014+ it did.

Not sure if the version of acad plays into that..

My most common issue when doing this was the outline not being closed or having crossing lines