Software Keeps Crashing

hlshp

I Hope someone can help. I have been using autocad light 14 for 4 years on the same computer using windows 10. I am self taught and I use autocad to make amendments to drawings I have inherited from the autocad expert who left the company 4 years ago. I have just returned from a 2 week break and there is a problem with the autocad programme. It opens OK and I can open drawings no problem. However, whatever command I select, causes the programme to crash/close. An autodesk error box appears which I have filled in and sent off to Autodesk but have had no reply from them.

I have completed a system restore on the computer, but that has not helped. Not sure what else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hlshp

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does AutoCAD crash if you start a new drawing as well?

Do you get an error message when AutoCAD crashes? If so what is the exact wording of the message?

Are you on Subscription?

Hi,

I am not on a subscription. Once I close the welcome screen whatever I do next closes the programme. I cannot even click on "sign in" to access updates, the programme closes. There are no error messages, just the error report form appears. I have the CD should I try BIGAL's suggestion? Thanks.

Yes, I would start with the REPAIR option first. It should not require the CD. Access it via the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Any error messages?

AutoCAD 2014LT wasn't designed for Windows 10, I would look into Windows 10 as the source. Were there any updates to anything while you were gone? Somebody did something most likely, is there an IT person/department?

If a repair or reinstall of AutoCAD doesn't work, look into Windows and/or other programs that were changed and/or updated.

Hi,

Have tried the repair, but no joy. I can load DWG files OK but as soon as I click on a command the programme closes. I reloaded all the windows updates over the last couple of weeks and ensured that the driver updates were not included. Obviously I could not stop the updates themselves. I assume that there must have been something in the windows updates that have caused this, but I cannot stop cancel or stop the updates? I do not have easy access to an IT Dept. My other option is to load autocad onto another PC. I have contacted Autodesk and asked for a password to allow me to reinstall the software onto another PC, but have not heard back from them?

Yes, it is possible to block Windows' updates from automatically installing but I wouldn't recommend it as some updates are deemed critical. If you do elect to block automatic installation then you have to read up on what each update addresses then decide whether or not you want to install the update. The majority of people don't have the time nor the desire to do this.

AutoDesk does not issue passwords for installing AutoCAD. When the program is installed the user is asked if they want to obtain an activation code. This is done automatically via your Internet connection. If you do not request an activation code you basically have 30 days of trial use before you are locked out of the program.

I doubt you will hear back from AutoDesk since AutoCAD 2014, as previously mentioned, was not designed to be supported by Windows 10. In other words, you are on your own; AutoDesk will not be tossing you a life preserver.

You might benefit from also reading about the recommended uninstall and reinstall procedures for AutoCAD.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Recommended-uninstall-and-reinstall-procedures.html

When you did the system restore did you go back more than two weeks in time?

Hi, I created a restore point in July 2017. I selected it and restored the system. I did notice that when the PC restarted it said words to the effect " your system has been restored to 29 August" todays date? So I am not sure if the restore action was successful? Either way the problem with autocad still remains.

My last chance is that autodesk will send me another activation code for the software I have.

I have an older computer running Windows XP so I shall put it on there, I hope. It is not connected to the internet so it should be OK. It has been connected to the plotter before so it should be OK. As I said before, I just need to carry out amendments on existing drawings and print them off.

Just to jump in with a suggestion here.

Have you tried "Compatibility Mode"?

This will often let software that was meant for older Windows versions run properly on Windows 10.

The quickest way to get to it is to open the Start Menu and just type the word compatibility.

That will then show you a shortcut to the compatibility troubleshooter.

Running this will search your computer for installed programmes and ask you to select the one you are having problems with.

It will then try to work out the best way to fix the particular problem.

More about the troubleshooter and Compatibility Mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

This article also shows how to manually set a programme to run in Compatibility Mode.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-compatibility-mode-windows-10

Hi Nukecad. Thanks I tried that using windows 8 settings but autocad is still crashing. I assume that the programme has become corrupted? I was thinking of taking bigal's advice and repairing from the DVD, but there appears to be no repair tool. I assume if I do a reinstall I will need to contact autodesk to activate. Thus far they have not been helpful, and have not responded to my request to load the software onto another PC under the same licence. I assume their solution is to buy the latest copy of their software, which I am unable to do.

The program may not be corrupted however a Windows 10 setting or settings may have changed thus causing the problem.

You do not need the DVD to do a repair however you would need it if you were to do a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Activation codes are normally obtained via an Internet connection. You do not call or email AutoDesk to obtain one.

I think you have two options.

1) You do a complete and thorough uninstall / reinstall of AutoCAD 2014 on your Win10 system.

2) You install AutoCAD 2014 on the other computer you mentioned that is running WinXP.

If both methods fail then I'd suggest looking at purchasing an AutoCAD clone like BricsCAD which by comparison is relatively cheap or you download the FREE 2D CAD program Draftsight (another AutoCAD clone) from the Dassault Systemes website.

As I said before, do NOT expect any assistance from AutoDesk since your version of AutoCAD is not supported under Windows 10.

Hi, I made some progress! I have managed to decipher some of the instructions given out be Autodesk and have exported the license from the original PC to their server. I have loaded the software onto another PC, successfully. The instructions then tell me to locate the License Transfer Utility File(LTU) in the AutoCAD directory click on it, enter my details etc and import the license. The problem now is, there is no LTU file to be found?

That said, the programme is working OK. I have opened it a couple of times now and expected to see a "30 day trial" or "activate" button, but none appear? I have sent an email off to Autodesk for clarification.

From the AutoDesk website....

"If you can't find the LTU, your product may not support license transfers or the LTU hasn't yet been installed with your product. The LTU is installed by default, but it is an optional component that can be de-selected in the product installer. You may need to install the LTU from your original installation media."

Hi ReMark, I followed the following process advised by autodesk:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/manage-licensing/transfer-licenses/license-transfer-utility/online-transfer-using-ltu

I found the LTU File and exported the license from the old PC no problem. This worked because I was not able to activate the software any longer.

I loaded the software onto another PC running Windows 7, from the original DVD entering the serial number and product key. Once loaded, I searched, high and low, for the LTU file as indicated in the directions given above, but it is not there?

I have been onto autodesk via their chat line and they are asking me for a "Request Code". This I understand is obtained by clicking on an activate button that should appear on my screen. This is not there either.

In fact the software is up and running as normal. So perhaps I should leave it at that? My worry is that if the license has not been activated will I lose it after 30 days?

Another option for product license activation is to manually request an activation code. If your software is legitimate (i.e. - not pirated) AutoDesk will send you the 32 character activation code via email which you would then have to manually enter. But to do so you would have to access the above screen where you would click on the "Activate" button in the lower right hand corner to start the process. If you are not seeing the screen then you must have activated AutoCAD without knowing it or the license transfer utility somehow worked its magic without you knowing it.

You can check for the presence of an activation code.

When you install your Autodesk product using a valid serial number and product key, an HTML file containing your request code and registration information will be saved on your computer, typically in the following location:

For Windows Systems: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm\ProductNameVersion_USRegInfo.html

I think your product name version would be ACDLT2014en.