I cant export IFC format from my Revit Model.

BIJI SAMUEL

Hi every one,

I just started to learn Revit (2018). I import one of my Autocad 3D Model in to Revit and send it to client. But Client need that model in to IFC format, because they don't have latest Revit Software.

Unfortunately i am not able to export that Revit model in to IFC format.

Can any one help me please.

Biji Samuel

Let me guess

That's Because you have a licence Revit LT?

Download a Sketchup trail. Coming from..DWG

With SKP => IFC is a better conversion than Revit's RVT => IFC is my experience

(..i am still waiting for DWG=>IFC to be taken serious by a software developer. BricsCAD most likely.)

Edited by halam

If you have access to a vertical product of AutoCAD, you should be able to export to IFC no problem.

And some advice for the future: importing AutoCAD into Revit doesn't work like you think. Revit users can link in DWG files no problem, so if they were asking for a Revit model they are asking for a native Revit model. It's best to simply say you do not have a Revit model and send the DWG. I'm assuming the only reason why IFC was asked is because the receiving party was thinking they were getting a native Revit model, and IFC is the only way you can create a backward-compatible Revit file. So, my point is, if Revit is asked and you did not literally create your project in Revit, then respond that there is no Revit model and send DWG.

-TZ

Yeah. It sucks all this BIM confusion

What's wrong with working with 3D DWG ? (not asking Revit users.. ;-)

And as Tannar mentioned, indeed AutoCAD verticals have a ifc exporter. But it will create horrible geometry as ifc

That's why I prefer either Sketchup or Allplan

Lol yeah, BIM is confusing mainly because it's a process and not a program.

Nothing wrong with 3D DWG... but it is quickly becoming dead weight in certain industries. Not the 3D part, the information and parametric part. I like my CAD programs to be 3D and information-rich. But even the newer CAD programs have its difficulties. No ultimate solutions I guess, only trade-offs.

-TZ

It's not getting any more simple, AND expectations are skyrocketing (at least in my industry). It's getting crazy with how much information + drawings we have to create these days. I miss the days where a 2D drawing was more than sufficient. Now, it's BOM's, 3D Views, Sections and Elevations, tabulated data of this this and this exported to Excel, connect to Microsoft Project for 4D Scheduling, on and on.

My fees for my clients have been increasing and some of my clients are dropping. I just shrug my shoulders... what do you want me to do? Your client wants all of this, and this all costs money. They still think it's AutoCAD because the PDF looks the same. But it's not.

:)

-TZ