IPJ (PROJECT) File Help

ballsdeep89

I'm going to do my best to communicate here...and don't tell me "go use the vault" because I don't want to f'in hear it. I'm hoping there is some Inventor f'in savant that knows this...

I went back to my inventor program files and modified the "default" project file on my local drive, figuring that next time I create a new project file it would pull the settings from that default file (kinda like a template, or when creating a new layer or dimstyle in autocad, it uses default settings from that layer or dimstyle until you modify it)...not the case.

Is it possible to set parameters/defaults for the "root" or "template" or "default" project file?

No, that's not really how it works, what you can do instead is preset your Application Options for template locations, design data, and content center file locations. Then the default new project creation states use default settings will use your Application Options defaults.

Typically even if you are not using Vault, I don't see a reason to have more than a couple Project files anyway. If your modeling files are always unique names and stored correctly you won't have a problem. If you have files that are not uniquely named, I see that as a bigger issue. Are you a single user or a in a group environment?

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I'd consider myself a single user. However, there are 3 other engineers in my dept. that all work exclusively on their own projects.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. What you're saying is this: Open properties in inventor, go to the file tab, and "preset" my stuff here. When I create a new project file, it will then already have the information stored in there. Is this correct?

I originally went here C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2010 to try and find a "default"(or template) ipj file to modify, hoping that when i create a new ipj , it would pull "settings/parameters" and apply them to the new ipj file i create (rather than having to define it every time i create a new ipj). Not the case.

Having thousdands of IPJ files works for us. We have thousands of custom products we manufacture. Every product is assigned its own project file which saves us time navigating through the network/folders/subfolders/ect.

I'd attach a screenshot of the file structure if I could figure out how... ^_^

That's right, you can simply preset the default settings on the Files Tab of your Application Options in Inventor. That will then tell your default Project files what to read.

Off the cuff question...if you have a similar project and you want to do a design iteration, how do you do it now? Do you use Design Assistant to rename a lot of files or is that not really a concern? It does appear you are Vault agnostic which is fine, but some users use it just for some renaming and copy design functions and version tracking.

Mark, i truly appreciate your response. Worked like a charm. Thanks.

As far as renaming and copying, one of our engineers uses a macro, which is loaded on each machine - though I don't typically use it. Simply because after copying files/drawings it still requires them to open iproperties and modify the part number/name. Id rather open the file, and "save as" a new name, which then automatically updates the part numbers in iproperties (so the BOM) comes out correct.

One additional thing - When I open the applications menu, and click on the file tab, work my way down to "default content center files" it reads V:\ which is exactly what I need. However - we're in the process of switching all engineers to a new server, in which case we need to add a second path inline with the V:\ Is this possible? How would it be separated?

regards,

joseph

Joseph,

Unfortunately you can only have one path so you will need to either change it or adjust the project file when the change actually occurs.

Shucks. We'll have to add a workpath to old project files before opening them so they can locate the hardware in a new location not previously mapped.

Not the end of the world. That was supposed to be saturday.. :?

thanks again,