How to Open .step file

Bill Tillman

I have a client who is religious about using SolidWorks, but I only have AutoCAD 2014 available to me. They have submitted a file to me in the .step format. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to convert this to a DXF or DWG file?

I'm very paranoid these days about loading "FREE" cad viewers other than AutoCAD's free viewer. Seems these days the hackers are out there offering free this and free that and all you end up with is viruses and malware.

I followed this set of instructions but the message window popped up saying "Import Failed" The specified file is invaiid or unsupported.

You should be able to import the STEP file directly into Autocad. If you're getting an error then I can only guess there may be a problem with the STEP file, or it was generated in a later format which Autocad 2014 cannot recognize.

Can you post the file here? Maybe someone with a newer version of Autocad can take a look.

Thanks CAD64, I think you're right on my older version of AutoCAD not being able to work with this file. Unfortunately, 2014 is all I got right now. Will Autodesk's Viewer handle these kind of conversions?

No, the viewer won't be able to do the conversion, but Fusion 360 should be able to do it. You could download and install Fusion 360 as a "Start-Up or Enthusiast" which means you can use it free for 1 year. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

I have signed a NDA with them so posting the file is a no-no, but one of their designers converted it for me using AutoCAD 2018. Thanks.

Bill

The latest volume of Solidworks is 2017 and a lot are upgrading to it. If you get in a jam and have a need you can download a copy to use for 30 days.