Text, and Dimensioning in Paperspace

mattcourage

I have a drawing that was entirely drafted in model space, and due to the size of the drawing I need to make 6 separate sheets, which I am doing in paperspace. In each layout tab I create my viewport with a scale of 1" = 40', zoom into the particular area for each sheet, and place it inside my title block. Now I want to start adding text descriptions, leaders and dimensions. And I would like to do this in paperspace, NOT in model, or in the viewport inside of paperspace. What is the best way to do this and not have my text huge! I have googled the heck out of this topic to no avail.

Text and dimensions placed in a layout are done to real world size. So if you want the text to be 1/8th inch high that's the text height you specify. Nothing complicated to it; we do it all the time. Re: dimensions. Make sure to specify "associative" which is not the same as annotative.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "associative". Where can I set this? Will this allow me to dimension lines in paperspace to the correct lengths without having to go into the viewport?

You're leaders aren't scaled. Again, you are drawing everything in real world units. If you want the arrowhead to be 3/32" in length that is what you would specify.

Re: associative dimensions. Set the system variable DIMASSOC to a value of 2 and you are good to go.

DIMASSOC=2": Creates associative dimension objects. The elements of the dimension are formed into a single object, and one or more definition points of the dimension are coupled with association points on geometric objects. If the association point on the geometric object moves, the dimension location, orientation, and value are updated.

BTW...once you have established your viewport scale make sure you lock its display so that you do not inadvertently change the scale if you decide to enter model space from your layout then exit back out.

Just another tip make sure that the "node" osnap is turned off and be attentive that when you place dimensions that you are definitely clicking on the correct geometry point, dimensioning in paper space should be done when the drawing is finished, but editing is usually needed and finding that your dims have turned "weird" is not pleasant.

Make sure the viewport is not active in Modelspace, if your Dimension style, Text Styles etc. use 1/8" or whatever size you want your Annotations, then that will be their actual size when plotted.

Just another tip make sure that the "node" osnap is turned off
because the last thing you need is dimensions associated to each other rather than your modelspace objects. That destroys the whole point of associative dimensions.