• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TimZilla

• dbroada

• Cad64

• alkorm77

But then you would not be able to type ltscale (linetype scale) or la (layer manager) le (quick... you get the idea. The command line is very powerfull to take away the enter(space) after a command would spoil all other commands.

Is it possible to assign hot keys to all commands in a customisable way? For example if i want to draw a line, can i just hit 'L'? instead of 'L + space'

change your right-click settings in Options to where it becomes "Enter". this way you won't always have to use Spacebar.

But then you would not be able to type ltscale (linetype scale) or la (layer manager) le (quick... you get the idea. The command line is very powerfull to take away the enter(space) after a command would spoil all other commands.

I realise the command line is very powerful, and sometimes it is very useful. I'm asking if you can fully customise your keyboard for any command. So if ltscale was something you used regularly, why not make it 'alt + l' or something along those lines. What i'm suggesting can cut seconds out of each command, especially for 3D modelling. I used to use Solidworks at my previous work and along with another designer we had our Cad systems so customised for 95% of the tools we used, and was left with only one tool bar on the screen. OK, it took a couple of months to learn and there was an A3 spreadsheet stuck to my office wall with the hot keys defined for each command, but after that couple of months, in an office of 10 designers, we were modelling and producing drawings 40% faster than the other 8. Now that is productivity. So my question still stands, can you customise commands with hot keys?

interesting isn't it. The 2 fastest in our office only use the keyboard with everything defined in one or two keystrokes (plus ). It is painful watching all the others using menus and toolbars.

just an observation - no help to your problem.

I don't think you can get autocad to understand just pushing L. But Ctrl+L or Alt+L would definately be possible.

I'm using 2005 and to customize the key board I go to "Tools" -> "Customize" -> "Keyboard"

I realise the command line is very powerful, and sometimes it is very useful. I'm asking if you can fully customise your keyboard for any command. So if ltscale was something you used regularly, why not make it 'alt + l' or something along those lines. What i'm suggesting can cut seconds out of each command, especially for 3D modelling. I used to use Solidworks at my previous work and along with another designer we had our Cad systems so customised for 95% of the tools we used, and was left with only one tool bar on the screen. OK, it took a couple of months to learn and there was an A3 spreadsheet stuck to my office wall with the hot keys defined for each command, but after that couple of months, in an office of 10 designers, we were modelling and producing drawings 40% faster than the other 8. Now that is productivity. So my question still stands, can you customise commands with hot keys?

to answer your question: no (as far as i know, you can't, not the way you're wanting)

it's simply not how AutoCAD works, without the Spacebar/Enter step. you will just have to adapt. partly the reasoning behind they way it is, is because there are simply tooooo many commands and other things involved to completely take away Spacebar/Enter step when using AutoCAD, even a quarter of the potential.

and my question is why would you use commands like "Alt+L"?? that seems like even more trouble than the way AutoCAD is defaulted to in the first place, lol. for me to hold Alt and stretch my finger across the keyboard to press L is far more complicated than me hitting L+right-clicking the mouse to execute the LINE command. just my $0.02 - don't take anything the wrong way.... 8)

hello Stykface,

thanks for your reply, i am not offended. First, the old right click on the toolbar and customize option seems to be limited, so hot keys can only be reassigned to certain commands. I realise acad is big, real big, but others softwares can do it, and they are bigger. its just for those commands you wish to use often but can never seem to find a quik way. Like explode, you either need to find the toolbar button (more difficult if you run dual monitors) or type expode in the command prompt and then hit enter, would'nt ex + enter be faster? the LINE command is probably not the best example, but by the way, my keboard has 2 ALT buttons!

Its all in the programming i think. I started my career with acad, worked with it for 4 years, then went to Solidworks and now back to acad. SW is very adaptable in this sort of way and its hard to go back

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to any command in Autocad by modifying your acad.pgp file. For instance, you don't have to type the word 'Explode' every time you want to use that tool. I have mine set to just 'X' and then Right Click to initiate. Autocad is just as customizable as any other program.

Go to your Tools pull down menu > Customize > Edit Program Parameters. This will open your acad.pgp file with Notepad. Scroll down to see all of the current commands and their aliases. They are written in the format: CI, *CIRCLE where CI is the alias and *CIRCLE is the Autocad command. If you want to modify these commands or create aliases for other commands, the best thing to do is scroll to the bottom of the file. There is a section there for "User Defined Command Aliases". Anything you put in this section overrides any previous command in the list above and will migrate when you install newer versions.

Note: After you make changes to the pgp file and save it. Type REINIT at the command line. This will open the Re-initialization dialog and allow you to reload your pgp file and use your new commands without having to close and re-open Autocad.

Cad64 - I didn't kow that! (Shows how often I use menus.) I have always either modified it from outside Acad or have used the Express|Tools|Command Alias editor. Your one is better.

Go to your Tools pull down menu > Customize > Edit Program Parameters. This will open your acad.pgp file with Notepad. Scroll down to see all of the current commands and their aliases. They are written in the format: CI, *CIRCLE where CI is the alias and *CIRCLE is the Autocad command. If you want to modify these commands or create aliases for other commands, the best thing to do is scroll to the bottom of the file. There is a section there for "User Defined Command Aliases". Anything you put in this section overrides any previous command in the list above and will migrate when you install newer versions.

Note: After you make changes to the pgp file and save it. Type REINIT at the command line. This will open the Re-initialization dialog and allow you to reload your pgp file and use your new commands without having to close and re-open Autocad.

Also i would like to state to do a Save As on this file in a safe location before making changes.

• 1 year later...

I know everybody here is talking about hot-keys for commands like line, circle and so on. I want to know is there a way to set up your layers on hot keys?

I am new to Auto cad and I use it to design Fire Sprinklers using hydra CAD which is a program that works with Auto CAD. It has a bunch of pre-made layers that we have to use. I switch back and forth between 10 different layers and I hate having to change my current layer the hard way. I found the pc (pick current) command but even that is to slow. Having to type in pc+enter+ click the mouse on the layer on the drawing I want to change to. If i could hit W and be in the "walls" layer and p and be in the "pipe" layer and so on It would save me a good hour or two a day. This is probably a very stupid question and I'm sure there is a way to do this and I should already know. I took the basic ACAD class and went right into the office designing. Yes, for your information the Fire Sprinkler industry is desperate for designers and will pay out the @$$ to get them.You have to learn a lot of codes from the NFPA13, thats the only hard part.

if someone could give me some good advice I would be very thankful.

to change a current layer I drop the layer list down (TL corner of my screen) and click on it there.

In fact I don't change current layers that often. I tend to draw everything on 0 then change layers later using either the properties box or properties painter tool.

to change a current layer I drop the layer list down (TL corner of my screen) and click on it there.

In fact I don't change current layers that often. I tend to draw everything on 0 then change layers later using either the properties box or properties painter tool.

well the Hydra Cad program has a whole bunch of toolbars for example" walls, steel, main pipe, line pipe, ceiling. These are all on toolbars and when you click that toolbar it switches you to that layer which is great. What sucks is that it has its own OSNAPS set for each of those layers. So everytime I click, say...my walls layer button on the toolbar it resets my damn osnaps, turns polar off and turns on ortho! which drives me crazy. So its cool that it automatically puts me in that layer but i have to go in and reset my osnaps, ortHOE and polar everytime. Is there a way that I can edit the osnaps on the on each toolbar button? so each button has the osnaps set to fit that layer the best for me?

Put this in your acaddoc.lsp file

(defun c:w ()
(setvar  "clayer" "wall"))

is that a reply to me? if so I would love if you could be more specific because im still a newbie at this, lol. I dont know where my acaddoc.Isp is, what it is, or what to do with it.

I think the reply was for you but if you are using LT I don't think you have any lisp functionality - so it won't work. Another problem is know very little about LT so can't be of too much help either.

In full AutoCAD you can add your own buttons or modify the existing ones. What happens if you type CUI?

I think the reply was for you but if you are using LT I don't think you have any lisp functionality - so it won't work. Another problem is know very little about LT so can't be of too much help either.

In full AutoCAD you can add your own buttons or modify the existing ones. What happens if you type CUI?

no, i need to change that. I do use the full Auto Cad 2008 at home. At work I use Auto Cad 2007. no LT, sorry ill go change that now.