Side Drilled Hole in Pipe Ellipse

neondeon298

So I have a Top View and Side View of a pipe. The pipe is cut in half. The pipe has a small diameter drill hole that looks like straight lines on the Side View. On the top view I know this drilled hole would give the illusion of an ellipse (better yet an egg shape). How do you guys draw such an egg shape? I have attached an image. Red Cloud is showing the ellipse I am having issues with.Side Drill Hole Ellipse.jpg

I may have gotten it. Instead of using of using the center of the 2 hole sides I found the virtual between the 2 yellow lines. It was slightly lower and put the ellipse centered properly. However, am I wrong in assuming that it wouldn't make ellipse but an egg shape?

You could always test that assumption by recreating the object in 3D. It would take but a minute to do. The beauty of this method is that you could then extract the 2D view directly from the model using the FLATSHOT command. BTW...I ran a quick test myself using the method I outlined. It does work. Try it yourself. We can compare results.

Edited by ReMark

I don't know why I didn't think of just look at 3D. I was already making a 3D model (it was quitting time I guess). But yet another command (Flatshot) that I was unawares. My assumption was correct that there is just slightly an egg shape to the holes when viewed from top. Did you have the same results? Thank you so much!