Dynamic blocks and text rotation....

pingsb

I'm trying to make a compass, with NSEW around it. I want to rotate the compass, as well as text, dependent on the direction, however keeping the text rotation at 0.

I found a similar thread, but I can't for the life of me get it to work right. I think I'm on the right track, just missing something somewhere. Any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

compass.dwg

One of the simplest ways is to use annotative text it has an option in the text style to auto rotate text to View.

Could you offer an example for me? I'm struggling to get this thing to work.

I think this what your looking for. Any time you want to use rotation with a dynamic block that has text you need to use annotative text because it can be set to maintain it's orientation to the x axis or horizontal axis of the drawing. I prefer to use one big arrow to indicate north as you can see in the other block I attached.

compass.dwg

NORTHARROW.dwg

I think this what your looking for. Any time you want to use rotation with a dynamic block that has text you need to use annotative text because it can be set to maintain it's orientation to the x axis or horizontal axis of the drawing. I prefer to use one big arrow to indicate north as you can see in the other block I attached.

That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm going to dissect it and see if I can reproduce. Thank you!

I'll save you some time all I did was make the text annotative, removed the distance parameter and added the text to the rotation parameter, drew a circle using center radius with the point in the middle of the compass out too the edge of the compass then I drew a box around one text and then copied it to each text making sure they were centered in the box. Lastly I drew a line from the center of the compass to each point on the circle where the text would be and moved the text and box to each end point of the line where it intersected the circle. Erase the boxes, circle, and lines and done.

I'll save you some time all I did was make the text annotative, removed the distance parameter and added the text to the rotation parameter, drew a circle using center radius with the point in the middle of the compass out too the edge of the compass then I drew a box around one text and then copied it to each text making sure they were centered in the box. Lastly I drew a line from the center of the compass to each point on the circle where the text would be and moved the text and box to each end point of the line where it intersected the circle. Erase the boxes, circle, and lines and done.

Thank you for the input.

What am I missing here - when I use this block, it works great, but when printing, it doesn't show properly, the text is rotated and not at 0 rotation.