+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Default can't uninstall autocad, getthing these errors

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

hi all
    I am having bizarre issues with the attached DWG, for some reasons it keeps on freezing in my PC... I try to rotate the structure, i try to move the red points, then a bit, it freezes. And after another bit I get FATAL error and CAD crashes...

One thing I noticed, now that I just opened up my DWG in another machine, the underlaying PDF vanished. In fact the DWG should look like the attached photo, with the pdf of the structure which i imported and then trimmed.

the pdf can be downloaded here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...UhPaXdZdklkTkU

Maybe I didn't construct the drawing properly but i don' understand why CAD would crash?

Is there anything unusual in my DWG?

many thanks!
    Alex
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cat3appr; 16th Sep 2017 at 08:02 am.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Why didn't you mention "Can't Uninstall AutoCad" in your post? It's in the thread title. Why would you do that, to fix the crashes? In almost all cases there is nothing wrong with the program. It's kinda like tearing down your house, and rebuilding it to change the paint color.

First turn off all the other apps that are running, internet browser and email for starters, then try restarting AutoCad. Then try restarting your computer. Restarting either or both will empty most trash and orphaned data out of CPU and Video memory cashes relieving processing space.

The attached xref disappeared because it is on a different computer, and AutoCad can't find it because of that. There should have been a message telling you there was one or more unresolved cross reference files. You have to move the xref file(s) along with the main drawing and re-establish the xref file directory path in the xref manager, or use ETRANSMIT which will create a ZIP file containing all the required elements of the drawing project, which you can move or copy to anywhere you want, and the xrefs stay attached.

There are any number of things that can cause a fatal error, but it boils down to something in the drawing overwhelming the CPU's ability to follow the program code instructions.

Some examples.

Massive dwg file size, limiting the CPU's or Video card's ability to process the file.

Massive xref file size. For a pdf attachment, this can be because the pdf was generated from AutoCad and the drafter chose to include LAYER and BLOCK data, or the pdf was generated from a scanned raster image file at high resolution. Nine times out of ten, freeze-ups and crashes because of a very large pdf come from the video card being overwhelmed, and/or the virtual video disk space being filled repeatedly simply by trying to pan. The same conditions can be caused by a very large dwg file xref.

Limited computer system specifications. Same conditions as massive file size.

Database errors in either the main drawing or the xrefs.

Incompatibility between the AutoCad version and operating system version. For instance, no AutoCad release older than 2016 SP.1 is supported by Windows 10. They will all run, but there can be unpredictable conflicts.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    bjenk8100's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    windows 8 64 bit
    Discipline
    Construction
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I had to work on a huge file once and turning off the snaps helped me out.