Transparent Concrete in Rendering

Bill Tillman

I have a 3D model which is a metal assembly embeded in concrete. The rendering looks nice but I was hoping to show more details of the metal which is embedded in the concrete. Short of making the concrete appear as glass I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to achieve this look?

You could always do two renders of the same view, one with full textures and one with only the support metal. Then bring both images into Photoshop and apply a gradient layer mask. OK tutorial time....

Render image 1:

CD_render_1.jpg

Render image 2:

CD_render_2.jpg

Open both images in Photoshop:

In image 1 create a new layer and copy and paste image 2 into this new layer.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Select layer 1 (the new one on top) and then add a layer mask to it. It is the button at the bottom, a square with a circle in it.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Now select the gradient tool and select the transparent gradient to use as a mask.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Now click and drag to fill in with the gradient tool and you'll get a transparent effect. You might have to undo and redo the fill till you get the look you want.

Screenshot_5.jpg

I hope this was what you were looking for ;)

You could always do two renders of the same view, one with full textures and one with only the support metal. Then bring both images into Photoshop and apply a gradient layer mask.

Yep, that's how I would do it. :thumbsup:

Another approach is to create a transparent concrete starting with a generic material. CRank the Glossiness way down and set the Refraction index to 1.0 (air) as a start and use the Autodesk concrete map. This method has the advantage of dealing with objects that may lie in the foreground which of course you can deal with in Photoshop via some masking.

mt1.JPG

mt2.JPG

Cool, both of these methods look very interesting. I particularly like the one proposed by IRM. This should take care of the problem of the concrete hiding all the interesting stuff inside of it. Thanks everyone.