Unable to insert two circular bosses into two holes in secondary parts

Mannyroad

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone can direct me to a solution for something that is baffling me.

I have an assembly containing two parts, one a rectangular sectioned arm with two extruded circular bosses off one face, 12.5mm dia at 80mm centres. I am trying to mate this part to a plate, which has two 12.5mm dia holes at 80mm centres also.

The arm is a new part for my motorcycle and the rectangular plate is just a representation of the geometry of the mounting poins on the bike.

I can use the Insert mate, to mate one boss into one hole, which works fine, allowing a rotational degree of freedom to remain. however, when i try to insert the other boss into the remaining hole Inventor identifies a relationship error. I've tried creating work axis for each boss and hole and attempted to simply mate the axis' but still it won't work. This seems an unlikely problem that i can't seem to fathom out. See below. Any help greatly appreciated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62236&cid=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=62237&cid=1&stc=1

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Hi,

... allowing a rotational degree of freedom to remain.

Your assembly has one degree of freedom as you point out. You need to add a constraint that removes only one degree of freedom. An additional Insert constraint is too restrictive as it removes 5 DoF. Try adding an angle constraint between a reference line passing through the centers of the two bosses (or the edge of the arm) and a reference line between the two holes.