Restrict saving of "master" dwgs

neondeon298

So my company uses master drawings for kits or other metal specimens. However, too many times the A master or B master gets stuff saved over it (its no longer A master but #5002).

Besides the obvious of NOT hitting save... is there a way to make that drawing "Read-only" and I have to do a SaveAs?

Is clicking "read only" check box in Windows Explorer an option?

Thanks

Your master drawings should be .dwt files not .dwg files.

Agreed.

The Windows Explorer "Read Only" option will work if you are the only person with the authority to change that.

ReMark... are .dwt efficient when there are hundreds of masters saved in locations based on the product type? Example: A magnetic kit is saved in folder for mag kits, and xray kits are saved in that folder. Would that mean I have those .dwt in each of those folders or better to have all .dwt in one location? I also noticed that I can save-over .dwt. I sadly work with people who fumble around and click save when they shouldnt far too often.

The "read only" method is nice just because it is a deterrent to save-over. Guess its time for the long arduous process of making them all read only.

it wont be a long process just have to be old like me and use DOS which is still available and use a bat file, will try to remember. There may be a vl set file read only so could do a lisp.

Go to the world lower left

CMD

then use dos change drive etc if network eg

G:\

cd \dwgs\magkits

attrib +r *.dwg /s

may need to be administrator the /s means include subdirectory.

do the cd\dwgs\xray and so on repeat as required should only take a few minutes.

using Dos_lib inside Autocad

(dos_attrib "c:\\alan\\*.lsp" 9) ; 8 archive + 1 for read only

https://wiki.mcneel.com/doslib/home a great library of functions you may need to download.

if you can give a better picture of your drive structure we can help.

Edited by BIGAL