Solid to triangular faces?

fuccaro

How can I convert the surface of my solids to triangular faces? In the past I did it by exporting to 3DS (if I remember right) and reimporting it, but AutoCAD 2015 doesn’t support any more that format.

I tried to export in STL format (it worked), I opened the .STL file in Inventor (it worked too) and I exported from Inventor in DWG format again. But opening that last DWG in AutoCAD gives nothing :( .

I am not up to date with this modern AutoCAD, the last one I used daily was AutoCAD 2006. Ca someone help me please?

Yhank you for the welcome!

Edited by fuccaro

I know of a routine that will convert a solid to either 3Dmeshes or 3Dfaces. Would that be of any use?

Here is an image of a solid that I converted using the routine.

Sol2Faces.jpg

BTW...welcome back fuccaro. :)

Couple of days ago I discovered XEDGES which will create a wireframe of a solid on top. This could be used in combination with edgesurf for creating meshes, not regions which will be result of exploding solids.

Nobody suggested exploding a solid. We're talking a straight conversion from solid to triangular faces or at least that is my interpretation which is what I believe I show in the image previously posted.

Thanks for the answers!

XEDGES just extracts the edges from a solid, I need something like "XSURFACES". To get the individual edges doesn't help me since I try to use the surface in a Lisp program.

ReMark, that program sounds good, may I have it please?

This is the program description:

Sol2Mesh and Sol2Faces - convert 3DSolids to 3DMeshes or 3DFaces (VLX Lisp for AutoCAD 2011/2012).

This is where it can be found:

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/dl_file.asp?ID=1444

This is a copy of the program which, in order to upload it, I had to add the .zip file extension although it is NOT a zip file. Download and rename the file by removing the .zip file extension and you are good to go.

sol2mesh.vlx.zip

The program works just fine, thank you again, ReMark!

bjenk8100, writing Lisp programs sometimes I need to find out coordinates on the existing solids. If you try ENTGET on a solid, AutoCAD will return a list that only Einstein's brain can understand. Working with triangles or even with mesh objects is much simpler.