Moving from 2014 to 2018...Ouch!

Bill Tillman

I've been using AC 2014 for the last several years. Getting ready to make the jump to 2018 to use the new rendering feature. The first problem I'm running into is that when I turn perspective to 1 and then use the mouse to zoom in, the object I was just looking at disappears. I can go back to the previous view and the object is there but even a single toggle of the mouse wheel apparently zooms in so close I can no longer see the object. When perspective is set to 0 this doesn't happen. Similarly, when I zoom the object to a comfortable view with perspective set to 0, and then set perspective to 1, it again disappears, or again, apparently it zooms in so close I can't see the lines of the object.

So what is it I'm doing wrong? I can open the same drawing in AC 2014 and this problem is not happening.

I found that turning down the ZOOMFACTOR variable from 60 to 10 made a big difference. Still I can see that this update to 2018 is going to hit my cash flow by needing a new graphics adapter to handle things. I just wish the people who make software could be more understanding that the small business people are not made of money like Fortune 500 companies are.

That should always be considered in the cost of updating software, sometimes a necessary evil.

If your plans are for rendering, you should definitely consider a computer/graphics card upgrade.