• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• samifox

• steven-g

• bjenk8100

I dealt with a huge file once. They drafting entire jacob javitz center (NYC's convention center) on one file. It crashed and froze all the time. I found turning all snaps off helped tremendously, then obviously freeze unnecessary stuff.

On my first try I got the file down from 31MB to 29MB.

On my second try I have now gotten the file down to 19.7MB.

would you tell us your secret?

Last attempt and I got it down to 17.5MB.

My secret is no secret at all. Multiple uses of Overkill, -Purge (Regapps then All), Audit and WBlock. I ended up creating five different iterations of the drawing in the process. I think I would still have trouble working with the drawing as my system is going on seven years old and I am limited to 12GB of RAM.

Last attempt and I got it down to 17.5MB.

My secret is no secret at all. Multiple uses of Overkill, -Purge (Regapps then All), Audit and WBlock. I ended up creating five different iterations of the drawing in the process. I think I would still have trouble working with the drawing as my system is going on seven years old and I am limited to 12GB of RAM.

TX ill give it a try when im home on my Z

Do you realise there are 397 text styles, 29 dimension styles, and Annotative objects are set with 10+ annotative scales, I copied all the dims into a new drawing it was 12.5 MB just in dims another 7.5 MB for Mtext

Some people/companies go overboard with standards. I think following government department (i.e. - dep of transportation) standards is not a bad idea. They are pretty strict but do not get all cheesy.

I think someone should talk to ReMark about CAD standards, and take his words seriously. :o

Unfortunately, most outfits don't see the need for standards until something like this happens. Then it's too late.

Its off and running bit like the last horse I backed.

Anyway blocks with a name like A$eg34juk are blocks that have been created by cut and pasting these could be a complete dwg MB in size or they are the same thing multiple times but pasted each time rather than using Insert, anyway once the audit finishes then I will try purge.

Wow & Wow what a dwg I know we dont use xref's much but this is a dwg that should use them, even split the dwg into common sheets do the details have to live in this dwg ? The structural dwgs are buried in there as well as elevations etc.

Our biggest dwg 30Mb its all one, 88 layouts. Very structured.

Remark how you ever got it smaller is a mystery.

Did find though what looks like title blocks is not! Some of the title are lines and text like 10 times this would be 1 block this is repeated. Take it back looking in the layouts all the title blocks are exploded no wonder 1,000,000 entities.

Edited by BIGAL

Do you realise there are 397 text styles, 29 dimension styles, and Annotative objects are set with 10+ annotative scales, I copied all the dims into a new drawing it was 12.5 MB just in dims another 7.5 MB for Mtext

can be killed by purge?

Nope, not if it has been used in the drawing. I couldn't see which were actually used. To be honest I did try purge but then saving the drawing just resulted in the computer hanging for a long time, after 15 minutes I just had to use the task manager to kill Autocad. I would imagine that all these styles have built up from reusing content from other drawings, but it is certainly something you need to look at very carefully because it is obviously slowing down your drawing process enormously. But only you know how all this has built up, but I would guess you have a library of drawings that all need looking at.

That's a start. When you get it down to 12MB give us a shout. LOL

One of the many problems with this drawing: ten different layers just for dimensions and twenty layers for text with an additional three layers for text related to dimensions. To me that just says poor CAD drafting practices.

Edited by ReMark

Down to 10.4 MB I killed everything Annotative, and copied only visible objects into a new drawing close to 0,0 purged and overkilled etc. the drawing is probably useless now, but at least it's a bit smaller.