Scaling

acb2501

Hi all!

I'm an AutoCAD newbie with most of my background within Illustrator/InDesign so AutoCAD is a very different layout program for me.

In my employment, I receive plans from various architects and need to return a layout for the interior articles. The role is relatively new within the company as it was previously outsourced, so I am trying to find my feet and the best way forward.

The articles I need to place are in a range of documents, and they are all scaled differently ranging from 1:1, 1:100, 1:1_2 and 1:500 from what I have seen so far. The plans I receive also seem to range in similar scalings.

My thinking was that I could create a dwg file in 1:1 that contains a library of all the different articles I can choose from, then place, which would simplify things for me in terms of where to go to find these articles. Alternatively I have been looking in the 'Blocks' and was wondering if my library should rather be created there?

In terms of the plans I receive, as they are all varying scales and I really only need to use one "room" from what they give me, I was thinking I could create a new document at 1:1 and recreate the size of the room, dropping my articles in from the master library I create, and supplying this file for the installers.

This feels to me like a good way forward however when I open a new document, it opens in default at 1:100 and I cannot change that. Any thoughts on how I can do that? I can see all the scale options and click on them, but when I 'Apply' and 'Ok' nothing changes and looking back it is still set to 1:100.

Also, and this is probably a very rookie question, if I copy an object in a 1:100 (example) drawing, and paste it into a 1:1 drawing, should the size change? From that I mean can I trust that if the object should be 1m wide, it will show as 1m wide in both documents, or do I need to scale the individual objects based on the document it is coming from?

Am I thinking right? Anything I should be wary of? Any thoughts or suggestions? I am very grateful these forums exist, especially for a complex program like AutoCAD!

Thanks in advance :)

You make it sound as though the drawings you have received have all been drawn "to scale" as one might do manually on a drafting board. Is that really the case?

"Articles?" Do you mean "blocks"? You could create separate drawing files for each block and/or a "master" block drawing with all the blocks you normally use in one place.

Ideally one would draw everything in model space at real world size whether they were drawing something as small as a paperclip or something as large as an Airbus A380 (with a wingspan of almost 80 meters). Then they would switch to a layout, create one or more viewports, and assign a scale (which could be different for each viewport). I'm thinking most of this is new to you and probably beyond your comprehension at the moment given your limited experience using AutoCAD.

Edited by ReMark

What exactly is it that defaults to 1:100? Are you working in modelspace or paperspace layouts?

Modelspace does not default to a scale. It is always 1:1. However, since 2007 you can change the annotative view scale in modelspace, but that only changes how your annotative objects look when they change to the new "view scale". That mechanism was put in place so you can see what your annotative dimensions and such look like, at scale, before you place them in a viewport scaled in paperspace. If you are not using annotative dimensions and text, and such, then changing the annotative view scale in modelspace does nothing at all.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Dana W

Having said all that, I suppose some inconsiderate, or untrained drafter somewhere might go mucking about and scale down all the objects in modelspace to 1:500, but that is not a setting or a default, it is aberrant behavior without purpose or need.

It sounds to me like abc is getting a bunch of PDFs and such.

If you have AutoCAD 2017, you can import the PDFs at the appropriate multiplier scale. (fro example if it's 1:100, simply multiply by 100 when importing.) and yes, I would also create a block for each item. save it as a block library and use the design center to copy each over to your drawing as needed.

It sounds to me like abc is getting a bunch of PDFs and such.

If you have AutoCAD 2017, you can import the PDFs at the appropriate multiplier scale. (fro example if it's 1:100, simply multiply by 100 when importing.) and yes, I would also create a block for each item. save it as a block library and use the design center to copy each over to your drawing as needed.

I think you are on to something there. Maybe the OP should learn up on PDFATTACH, and SCALE (Reference).

It's been a week, abc. Do you still work there? ;)