Rectangle command not working as it used to

Ana

Hi everyone.

Its been 2 days that Ive been driving myself insane.

I used to draw a rectangle the following way:

- Rectangle command ENTER

- Specify point ENTER

- enter dimensions, ex: 20",30" ENTER

Now for some reason, when I do the same steps it draws a HUGE rectangle, covering all the drawing. What happened?

I figured out a way to draw it the following way, but its too complicated:

- Rectangle

- Specify point

- D

- 20"

- 30"

- Specify placement

Please help! I want my "easy way" back!

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 9.51.49 AM.jpg

I've always typed in "D" for Dimensions when using the Rectangle command. There are custom lisp routines that operate the way you specified however so I'm wondering if that's what you were using previous to this.

Sorry, I have my buttons set to display as text. I don't like icons. Your icons look very different from mine though, so I don't know which button toggles dynamic input. I'm surprised to see the 2015 interface looks so much different than 2014.

You can use the F12 key on your keyboard to toggle Dynamic Input on and off.

If you find that your Dynamic Input is already enabled but you're still having this issue, check your settings. Type DSETTINGS at the command line. This will open the Drafting Settings window. Make sure you're on the "Dynamic Input" tab, click the "Settings" button and make sure you have "Relative Coordinates" selected. See below.

Relative.jpg

I've always typed in "D" for Dimensions when using the Rectangle command. There are custom lisp routines that operate the way you specified however so I'm wondering if that's what you were using previous to this.

Or maybe a custom ribbon or toolbar button. I have always had to do it by hitting "D" for the distance, as well.

I didn't even know the "D" option existed before today, with dynamic input it's automatic to input relative sizes after the initial start point (at least I thought it was), and the area and rotation options are a revelation as well.

I have DYN on and the D is required if you want a rectangle by the lengths of the sides. I do not see anything in the OPs first thread about using relative coordinates.

I do not see anything in the OPs first thread about using relative coordinates.

It sounds like he wants to draw the length and width in relation to the first point.