Open new view in existing window?

Siberian

Every time I open a new view, it opens in a new window. I know it this was the only way in the early days, but is there still no way to make the view open in the existing window?

I think this ia just how it works.

Love it or hate it

Say I use a vertical split layout with a 3D view and a plan view. If I then decide to look at an elevation instead of the plan view, then I first need close the plan view, open the elevation view, and finally adjust the tiling manually since they the don't necessarily tile up the way I want them to. That doesn't sound right...

You don't need to close views that you are still using unless it's for performance issues. There are a lot of possibilities for arrangement of a tiled layout of windows. Using the WT command, Revit will arrange them for you with the active one to the left top and the rest are probably in order of opening sized equally. Not quite sure how Revit would know how you want them arranged unless you could save a particular layout, which it cannot do beyond the current session.

There is a trick for getting back the arrangement of your tiled layout after having maximized a window, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

I very much like the split view possibilities that 3DS and AutoCAD has. Don't really understand why Revit couldn't inherit that feature...

I very much like the split view possibilities that 3DS and AutoCAD has. Don't really understand why Revit couldn't inherit that feature...
AutoCAD and 3ds Max use Viewports, not Views. There is a huge difference between the two. A View in Revit, is not to be thought of as a Viewport in AutoCAD.

Each View in Revit is its own independent lens of the model. This is a huge benefit in the grand scheme of things when you're working in the Revit platform.

Having two Viewports in AutoCAD is still the same file, so there are no "views" to keep opening up, so the request for Revit to act like AutoCAD doesn't really add up here.

Ultimately, I'd ask myself why I'm opening these views to begin with. I usually work with four views: a Plan View, a N/S facing section, a E/W facing section, and a working 3D view, all positioned in a very strategic way for me to bounce between all views. That's all I need to model in Revit, and moving sections around negates any need to keep opening other views.

Hope this helps!

-TZ