Drawing file not valid

alec

Hi,

Yesterday I was working on a .dwg file on a memory stick. I tried to save it but it was read only, so I 'saved as'. Then checked all the other .dwg files on the stick and they were also all read only (strange, as they never were before). So I went into properties and changed individually changed them all to archive.

This morning, I try to open up the 'saved as' .dwg file I was working on yesterday, and I get the message 'drawing file not valid' and the same for the original. All the other .dwg files will open however. Any ideas what I have done and if it is reversible? I could really do with finishing the drawing sometime soon and don't want to have to start again.

Cheers.

No ideas at the moment but I haven't had my usual ten cups of coffee yet. Attach a copy of the .dwg file to your next post. I'll try opening it.

OK...three ideas.

1. Try using the RECOVER command.

2. Try inserting the drawing into a new drawing.

3. Copy the drawing to your hard drive then try opening it.

Hi, thanks for the response. I tried using recover - 'unabler to recover the file'. I tried inserting in a new drawing via copy and paste into model space. It asked for a block name, so i gave it one, and was then told the 'file had been created by an incompatible version of AutoCAD'. How do I attach a .dwg to a post?

To attach a drawing start by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the bottom right hand corner of the Quick Reply window.

I guess you decided not to go ahead and do it. Oh well.

Edited by ReMark

Upload the drawing to a file sharing website like DropBox and post a link to it here.

Did you try opening a new drawing and using the INSERT command to bring the other drawing into it?

Did you try copying the file first to your hard drive then opening it?

Thanks. I'm still in the dark ages and running on XP. Dropbox won't work with XP any more so I can't use it, or any other cloud based sharing thing that I can find. I'll give the INSERT command a go - I just used copy and paste in model space last time. And yes I tried moving it to my hard drive, and to my wifes hard drive but neither would let me open in. I'll give it a go in a few minutes. Cheers.

OK thanks, that would be really helpful. Tried the insert command. It told me that the file was created with an incompatible version of AutoCAD again.

An update.

So the OP sent me the .dwg file and I tried to open it using AutoCAD 2017, 2018, Dwg TrueView and even Draftsight but had no luck. I then asked him if he had a .bak file to share. He did and sent it to me. I renamed the file and opened it. There was his drawing. But, as I am always likely to do, I ran Overkill, -Purge (twice) and Audit on the file. I took a drawing file size of over 2.4MB and got it down to 860KB roughly. The Audit command found and fixed over 6600 errors in the drawing database. I won't bore you with the details of the junk for the first two commands removed. With a little more effort I could probably get the drawing file size down some more.