Scaling problem

rihiz

Hello!

I was learning autocad, and I tried to create a PDF file.

Everything drawn was in annotation scale of 1:1 and my units were selected as milimeters.

When I opened viewport and selected 1:1 scaling , it zoomed in really much, and it looks like the scaling of 1:1000 in the viewport is the correct one, to have them 1:1 as in drawing and on paper.

Why is this happening ? Why isnt 1:1 working as it should?

Your drawing is setup to use meters as the base unit type "-dwgunits" at the command line and follow the prompts (the first one shows you that the units are set as meters)

There are differences in the UNITS command, and the -DWGUNITS command. NOTE the leading hyphen. UNITS only changes the unit of measurement used in things such as the command DISTANCE and how you input measurements, for instance to draw a line of a known length. It does NOT change your basic drawing units.

The command -DWGUNITS is capable of changing the basic units used in your drawing. It can even change a metric drawing to an imperial measurement drawing, and back again, complete with re-scaling the entire drawing to fit the new unit of measurement.

There are differences in the UNITS command, and the -DWGUNITS command. NOTE the leading hyphen. UNITS only changes the unit of measurement used in things such as the command DISTANCE and how you input measurements, for instance to draw a line of a known length. It does NOT change your basic drawing units.

The command -DWGUNITS is capable of changing the basic units used in your drawing. It can even change a metric drawing to an imperial measurement drawing, and back again, complete with re-scaling the entire drawing to fit the new unit of measurement.

Thanks! Will try it out.

So if I have units as mm, draw a line of 150. Measure it with dist and it shows 150. 150 as mm or m? did I draw a line of 150m or mm? To my understanding it is 150meters if the dwgunits ar meters, but reads 150mm ? A bit confused

Just re-read it all. So.. if units determine input values.. its 150mm. But then if everything has been input with mm, why does it read meters at the end? Or is it just scaling that is actually 1:1000. Which means 1unit(in this case metee):1000 mm

..... But then if everything has been input with mm, why does it read meters at the end?.....

What reads meters at the end?

When it comes to plotting (printing) AutoCAD only plots in inches and mm. You have to be aware of this when you set up the viewport scaling to accommodate your chosen drawing units.

If you draw a line at 150, it is 150 units, not millimeters not meters or inches just plain units, Autocad is unitless. The settings of the "-dwgunits" command tell Autocad what units you wish to work with.

Here is you M mm dwg layout set up for an A4 sheet, note the Viewports toolbar and in particular look at the value I have typed in which is 1 this means scale at 1:1000 automatically. Your layout was way to small, note the real size of the outer box, this is actual sheet size but you must be inside this paper size so I used an offset of 10 to make the inner MVIEW, clicked inside looked at the number in the Viewport toobar and it was 0.98543 so I typed 1 to make it an exact scale, could have type 2 or 0.5 again an exact metric scale.

Because its an A4 sheet I plot at a 1:1 scale as the mview has done the scaling for me. Lastly like the others reset your units if working in mm then layout would be the same but again for 150 circle a 1:1 mview scale.

ScreenShot072.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

So in the end scale of 1:1000 is actually 1:1 , just its telling me that 1 meter = 1000mm.

And I can change the unit by , dwgunits

But with command units , I just change how some commands will read , for example dist to measure the length of a line.

Correct?

It's -dwgunits. The dash must be included. And pay attention to the prompts as you step through the command sequence.

But other than that I got it right?

I just made one with -dwgunits as mm , and all the dimension annotations are huge.

Also having problem setting up dimension styles.

Your profile says you are using Civil 3D yet you have set your dwgunits to millimeters. What is it exactly that you are drawing? It can't be a carriageway.

Your profile says you are using Civil 3D yet you have set your dwgunits to millimeters. What is it exactly that you are drawing? It can't be a carriageway.

Ive been only to 3 lessons so far, but our lecturer is useless.. So im left to learn on my own. Doesnt seem like its going to be a fun ride.

We had a task to draw just basic parts of hardware or something. Im not really creating a project at the moment.

But If I understood it correctly, it should stay on meters and the scale of 1:1000 is correct as its 1 meter : 1000 mm , which is 1:1 what I was looking for.

While im at it.. Is there any place to get a nice teamplate to begin with? Kind of annoying that I have to recreate everything with every dwg file, and I also cant find the options for dimstyle that im looking for. Im staring at the settings window, and cant find what im looking for.

In class our lecturer, had the diameter dimension draw the line inside, with the measurement in the middle, arrows facing outwards. I can only get it either half line with measurement inside the circle, or a full diameter with arrows facing inwards and measurement outside.

I hope any of this makes sense, if not sorry, im not a native speaker.

You did not exactly answer my question. So, you are using Civil 3D to draw a piece of hardware. What hardware? Is it something that might be used by a machinist?

If you had started out using the correct drawing template file you would automatically be drawing in millimeters. That template file is named acadiso.dwt and it should be listed along with two other metric based template files. One is set up for architectural drawings and is named Tutorial-mArch.dwt while the other is set up for manufacturing drawings and is named Tutorial-mMfg.dwt.

You do NOT have to recreate everything from scratch every time you start a new drawing. You instead use a drawing template file (AutoCAD default, one of your own design, or one borrowed from another CAD user). Your instructor should have covered what a template file is and how one goes about creating a custom one.

Forum member Nukecad has generously created several different sizes of metric based template files free for the download. I'll see if I can find and post a link to it. Here you go.....

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?99585-titleblock&p=677649#post677649

Scroll down to post number 6 in the thread above to find METRIC-TEMPLATES.zip.

Re: Dimension styles. They can be accessed via the DDIM command as one option. You can use or modify the Standard style or create one entirely to your specifications assuming you know beforehand what you want.

Where are you located?

Edited by ReMark

Here is a sample image of Nukecad's A3 drawing template file. Be aware that the title block utilizes attributes. I doubt your instructor has covered that topic yet.

Nukecad A3 DWT.jpg

You did not exactly answer my question. So, you are using Civil 3D to draw a piece of hardware. What hardware? Is it something that might be used by a machinist?

If you had started out using the correct drawing template file you would automatically be drawing in millimeters. That template file is named acadiso.dwt and it should be listed along with two other metric based template files. One is set up for architectural drawings and is named Tutorial-mArch.dwt while the other is set up for manufacturing drawings and is named Tutorial-mMfg.dwt.

You do NOT have to recreate everything from scratch every time you start a new drawing. You instead use a drawing template file (AutoCAD default, one of your own design, or one borrowed from another CAD user). Your instructor should have covered what a template file is and how one goes about creating a custom one.

Forum member Nukecad has generously created several different sizes of metric based template files free for the download. I'll see if I can find and post a link to it. Here you go.....

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?99585-titleblock&p=677649#post677649

Scroll down to post number 6 in the thread above to find METRIC-TEMPLATES.zip.

Where are you located?

I believe my last reply didnt post for some reason. Yes I am using civil 3D , and im just trying to draw something that looks like a piece of hardware, just to learn how the drawing tools work, to make curves lines etc etc. Nothing specific.

And As I said, my professor is useless, and I will have to learn on my own. He wont teach me anything. That's how I learned MATlab and VBA ( with him "teaching")

Thanks! Will have to take a look at those.

And im located in Latvia, if thats what you meant.

Also, did I get it right then or not really? If the -dwgunits are meters and units are milimeters. If I draw a line of 150. Is it 150 meters or milimeters? Atleast I get it that the scale of 1:1000 is 1:1, cause its 1meter:1000 ?

Didn't an earlier post cover your question re: units? AutoCAD is unitless. If you have set -dwgunits to option number 3 (millimeters) then 1 unit will equal 1 millimeter. When you plot from a paperspace layout you will definitely be working in millimeters because that is how metric paper sizes are defined.

Is the course specifically about teaching you how to use Civil 3D?

Didn't an earlier post cover your question re: units? AutoCAD is unitless. If you have set -dwgunits to option number 3 (millimeters) then 1 unit will equal 1 millimeter. When you plot from a paperspace layout you will definitely be working in millimeters because that is how metric paper sizes are defined.

Is the course specifically about teaching you how to use Civil 3D?

Okay, so If I have a drawing with -dwgunits in meters , by running the command I can make it to milimiters as well right? That should work

Okay, so If I have a drawing with -dwgunits in meters , by running the command I can make it to milimiters as well right? That should work
Instead of, not as well as.

With your -dwgunits set to meters, your dimensions are still probably set to mm, so a line 1.5 (meters) long will dimension as 1500(mm). Your plotter/printer probably cannot handle 1.5 meter objects so you will have to scale the paperspace viewport to get your object to fit on the paper.

The viewport scale formula is always ONE PAPERSPACE UNIT = nn MODELSPACE UNITS, so you will have to figure out how many paperspace units (mm) do you need to equal one meter. NONE of the 1:nn ratios that come in the AutoCad install are going to work.

Using meters for a drawing unit is problematic no matter how necessary it is, simply because a meter is 1000 times bigger than your paperspace units. You are going to need a viewport scale something like 100:1 to even begin to fit more than a meter or two on your paper. Remember, your paperspace units will always be millimeters, (unless you suddenly switch to imperial units).

By the way NEVER alter the scale in the red box on the following image until you know what it does. It is only for forcing large format drawings onto smaller paper while keeping some sort of actual scale ratio, it does not scale your viewport, it scales the entire plot.

Your dimensions appear HUGE now because they were defined to fit in a viewport at a much different scale than the one that is current now.

Untitled.jpg