Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

It's -dwgunits. The dash must be included. And pay attention to the prompts as you step through the command sequence.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2017

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    It's -dwgunits. The dash must be included. And pay attention to the prompts as you step through the command sequence.
    But other than that I got it right?

I just made one with -dwgunits as mm , and all the dimension annotations are huge.

Also having problem setting up dimension styles.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Your profile says you are using Civil 3D yet you have set your dwgunits to millimeters. What is it exactly that you are drawing? It can't be a carriageway.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2017

Your profile says you are using Civil 3D yet you have set your dwgunits to millimeters. What is it exactly that you are drawing? It can't be a carriageway.
    Ive been only to 3 lessons so far, but our lecturer is useless.. So im left to learn on my own. Doesnt seem like its going to be a fun ride.

We had a task to draw just basic parts of hardware or something. Im not really creating a project at the moment.

But If I understood it correctly, it should stay on meters and the scale of 1:1000 is correct as its 1 meter : 1000 mm , which is 1:1 what I was looking for.

While im at it.. Is there any place to get a nice teamplate to begin with? Kind of annoying that I have to recreate everything with every dwg file, and I also cant find the options for dimstyle that im looking for. Im staring at the settings window, and cant find what im looking for.

In class our lecturer, had the diameter dimension draw the line inside, with the measurement in the middle, arrows facing outwards. I can only get it either half line with measurement inside the circle, or a full diameter with arrows facing inwards and measurement outside.

I hope any of this makes sense, if not sorry, im not a native speaker.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

You did not exactly answer my question. So, you are using Civil 3D to draw a piece of hardware. What hardware? Is it something that might be used by a machinist?

If you had started out using the correct drawing template file you would automatically be drawing in millimeters. That template file is named acadiso.dwt and it should be listed along with two other metric based template files. One is set up for architectural drawings and is named Tutorial-mArch.dwt while the other is set up for manufacturing drawings and is named Tutorial-mMfg.dwt.

You do NOT have to recreate everything from scratch every time you start a new drawing. You instead use a drawing template file (AutoCAD default, one of your own design, or one borrowed from another CAD user). Your instructor should have covered what a template file is and how one goes about creating a custom one.

Forum member Nukecad has generously created several different sizes of metric based template files free for the download. I'll see if I can find and post a link to it. Here you go.....

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...649#post677649

Scroll down to post number 6 in the thread above to find METRIC-TEMPLATES.zip.

Re: Dimension styles. They can be accessed via the DDIM command as one option. You can use or modify the Standard style or create one entirely to your specifications assuming you know beforehand what you want.

Where are you located?
    Last edited by ReMark; 10th Oct 2017 at 06:26 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Here is a sample image of Nukecad's A3 drawing template file. Be aware that the title block utilizes attributes. I doubt your instructor has covered that topic yet.

Nukecad A3 DWT.jpg

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2017

You did not exactly answer my question. So, you are using Civil 3D to draw a piece of hardware. What hardware? Is it something that might be used by a machinist?

If you had started out using the correct drawing template file you would automatically be drawing in millimeters. That template file is named acadiso.dwt and it should be listed along with two other metric based template files. One is set up for architectural drawings and is named Tutorial-mArch.dwt while the other is set up for manufacturing drawings and is named Tutorial-mMfg.dwt.

You do NOT have to recreate everything from scratch every time you start a new drawing. You instead use a drawing template file (AutoCAD default, one of your own design, or one borrowed from another CAD user). Your instructor should have covered what a template file is and how one goes about creating a custom one.

Forum member Nukecad has generously created several different sizes of metric based template files free for the download. I'll see if I can find and post a link to it. Here you go.....

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...649#post677649

Scroll down to post number 6 in the thread above to find METRIC-TEMPLATES.zip.

Where are you located?
    I believe my last reply didnt post for some reason. Yes I am using civil 3D , and im just trying to draw something that looks like a piece of hardware, just to learn how the drawing tools work, to make curves lines etc etc. Nothing specific.
    And As I said, my professor is useless, and I will have to learn on my own. He wont teach me anything. That's how I learned MATlab and VBA ( with him "teaching")

Thanks! Will have to take a look at those.

And im located in Latvia, if thats what you meant.

Also, did I get it right then or not really? If the -dwgunits are meters and units are milimeters. If I draw a line of 150. Is it 150 meters or milimeters? Atleast I get it that the scale of 1:1000 is 1:1, cause its 1meter:1000 ?

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Didn't an earlier post cover your question re: units? AutoCAD is unitless. If you have set -dwgunits to option number 3 (millimeters) then 1 unit will equal 1 millimeter. When you plot from a paperspace layout you will definitely be working in millimeters because that is how metric paper sizes are defined.

Is the course specifically about teaching you how to use Civil 3D?

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2017

Didn't an earlier post cover your question re: units? AutoCAD is unitless. If you have set -dwgunits to option number 3 (millimeters) then 1 unit will equal 1 millimeter. When you plot from a paperspace layout you will definitely be working in millimeters because that is how metric paper sizes are defined.

Is the course specifically about teaching you how to use Civil 3D?
    Okay, so If I have a drawing with -dwgunits in meters , by running the command I can make it to milimiters as well right? That should work

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by rihiz View Post
    Okay, so If I have a drawing with -dwgunits in meters , by running the command I can make it to milimiters as well right? That should work
    Instead of, not as well as.

With your -dwgunits set to meters, your dimensions are still probably set to mm, so a line 1.5 (meters) long will dimension as 1500(mm). Your plotter/printer probably cannot handle 1.5 meter objects so you will have to scale the paperspace viewport to get your object to fit on the paper.

The viewport scale formula is always ONE PAPERSPACE UNIT = nn MODELSPACE UNITS, so you will have to figure out how many paperspace units (mm) do you need to equal one meter. NONE of the 1:nn ratios that come in the AutoCad install are going to work.

Using meters for a drawing unit is problematic no matter how necessary it is, simply because a meter is 1000 times bigger than your paperspace units. You are going to need a viewport scale something like 100:1 to even begin to fit more than a meter or two on your paper. Remember, your paperspace units will always be millimeters, (unless you suddenly switch to imperial units).

By the way NEVER alter the scale in the red box on the following image until you know what it does. It is only for forcing large format drawings onto smaller paper while keeping some sort of actual scale ratio, it does not scale your viewport, it scales the entire plot.

Your dimensions appear HUGE now because they were defined to fit in a viewport at a much different scale than the one that is current now.
    Attached Images
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."