Adding Multiple Numbers to Drawing without typing them in

donaldo

Is there a quicker way of inserting multiple numbers to a drawing without inserting them manually? I have a drawing of a Large Carpark which I surveyed and I want to add the Carpark Bay numbers in. It won't take me that long to type them in manually but curious as to whether there is a quicker way. I thought maybe running a list of numbers in excel and then importing them or something like that?

Thanks

It will depend on the layout, a list in excel will work, if you lay it out in combination with autocad command keywords and copy it into the Autocad command line as a sort of script (or make it a script) but this needs you to know all the location points of the numbers, or just an incremental list.

Another method if your numbers are dotted about, would be create a macro that automatically increments a number and places that with just the click of your mouse. Both methods work well in LT but take some time to set up, so if this is one off work and there isn't that much, then it's not (financially) worth your time, if you do this regularly then it's worth looking at. But mentally it is well worth the effort if you enjoy solving puzzles, and the more often you do this the quicker you get. I would personally rather spend an hour creating a script or macro to save half an hours work than spend that half an hour doing monotonous repetative work. (just don't tell the boss). But mostly it is a considerable saving in time

Its something I do frequently enough to warrant developing a speedier way of doing it but that's a whole new language to me so it may take some time. I'll mess with excel first. Thanks for tips

OK here's a simple example it just uses the row numbers to drop incrementing numbers into a drawing. To use excel this way all you need do is highlight the cells colored yellow and press Ctrl+c (copy to clipboard).

In Autocad click inside the command line, the cursor has to be active in the command line or it will paste as an ole object in the drawing, so click twice inside the command until the cursor is active then paste Ctrl+v from the clipboard, thats it.

This example places 10 numbers in the drawing at x=0 and y= 10 up to 100

Numbers.xls

Or, if you really are using LT and not full AutoCAD, you could utilize an auto increment numbering macro. There's one posted here...http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?66337-Auto-Increment-Numbering-for-AutoCAD-LT

I have not tested it. I'll leave that to you if your interested.

Here's a link for a couple of number incrementing macros that work with Autocad LT.

I've used them myself many times.

http://www.cadeverything.com/help/showthread.php/2826-Automatic-incrementing-of-numbers-in-LT

Both are originally from the Augi forum, and the authors are credited in that link.

(The first one is the same as ReMark linked to above).

Using Autocad easy if car park bays are straight pick 1st bay line, pick last bay line, enter start number if not nil, text is placed based on the number of lines crossed and half way between each line. I dont have code yet but big hint is ssget "F". I know it works based on something else I have done.

Screen Shot 10-11-17 at 01.07 PM.PNG

Understand Steven was waiting confirmation is it LT or Full Autocad ?

Copy and paste 1st point x y and last point x y to Excel how many bays and use VBA inside Excel to write a script, Steven-g as you have suggested previously its possible to do lots of calcs in excel and just copy the last column created to the command line. When we draw car parks they have set width so with two pts you can work out all the other points.

Bjenk800 just think about it 50 bays pick two points all done this is about as automatic as it gets.

Understand Steven was waiting confirmation is it LT or Full Autocad ?

Steven-g as you have suggested previously its possible to do lots of calcs in excel and just copy the last column created to the command line.

Thats what I tried to show in my own clumsy way with that excel file previously, it just uses the row number of excel and performs a calculation on that numer then uses the result to make the script/list.

You can do exactly the same with just a few coordinates from Autocad and then as you suggest divide the results by 50 to locate each parking bay.

And yeah lots of calcs I regularly have to leave excel running for half an hour or more when I'm pulling quantities out of drawings. :geek:

Steven are you using VBA inside excel ? Would it not work better to run the same sort of VBA directly inside Autocad ? Or is it one of those things a big job to start from scratch and rewrite it all. Instead of cell for x y you can use direct pt from Autocad.

donaldo still waiting LT or Autocad 2012 ?

BIGAL yeah that's using VBA and again not available in LT, I do use full Autocad at work but LT privately, the program that runs so long is basically sorting and shuffling data between cells in excel and is honestly the best place for it. I wouldn't know where to start something like that in Autocad, the list of variables would be incredible, in excel I have twice run out of rows, that's a lot of data to keep track of, but I am slowly trying to use VBA in Autocad for other things.

No worries steven

bjenk8100 think of it like this you have LT open and use ID and pick a pt paste to excel look at image, I would use a VBA macro to automate some of the steps. I just copied the highlighted cells to the command line more calculations can be done.

ScreenShot073.jpg

I had a few minutes and checked a real dwg. Bjenk8100 now I have made the spreadsheet I can do as many as I like, The spreadsheet can be vastly improved to take into account an angular answer, using ucs would probably get around it. I appreciate what you posted but where in amongst the 165 answers is one that matches the original request.

No VBA NO macro's just pure Excel.

ScreenShot093.jpg