importing excel spreadsheet x,y,z points into the spline function

gjeffrey

i'm trying to learn how to import x,y,z points in excel into a spline function in order to not have to manually type the individual x,y,z point for 100's of x,y,z points in excel. i have been unable to find a meaningful and helpful solution so far in any of the forums thus far. any explains of this i found are vague and don't work.

It should be easy using the concatenate function in excel, I would expect you have X Y Z in seperate columns so you would type SPLINE in say D1, D2 would have =concatenate(a2,",",b2,",",c2) which would display x,y,z copy this down for all points, then just copy the D column to the Autocad command line.

Scroll down in this post its near the bottom a screen grab example, http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?101914-Adding-Multiple-Numbers-to-Drawing-without-typing-them-in

thanks BIGAL!

i can now copy and paste x,y,z points into the AutoCAD spline function. it works better with the 'control vertices' than the 'fit points' option. it worked well with up to ~20 x,y,z points when i was pasting them into the spline drawing function.

for those who are Mac users, it is 'command-v' for pasting and not the Windows 'control-v' used in the examples on the forum. that was the main problem i had in getting the copy and paste of x,y,z data points into the drawing function to work.

• 5 months later...

i updated to autocad 2018 from 2017. i can no longer copy and paste more than 1 excel spreadsheet x,y,z data point into the spline function at a time. before i updated to 2018, i could copy and paste ~20 x,y,z points at a time. does someone have any thoughts on why i can only copy and paste 1 x,y,z point at a time into the spline function after my updating of autocad 2018.

Is the 1st paste working fully, sounds like its getting stuck expecting more, press esc a couple of times before next paste. You could join 20 splines into one column or paste to notepad or mac equivalent, you just need 1 blank line between each spline start, the blank line is like press enter to end command. Then save as a script file .scr, use script to run.

just a reminder i'm now using autocad 2018 for Mac of which i upgraded from autocad 2017 for mac.

when i 'command-v' to paste the column of x,y,z points it only puts the second to the last x,y,z point on the stack of last commands and the last x,y,z point on the command line. when i hit 'enter' it gives me an 'unknown' command error. as in my previous posts, after your help, i was able to copy and paste around 20 x,y,z points with which all the points where listed in the command line stack. when i was finished i just hit enter to close.

the last post may have appeared to state i can now copy more than one x,y,z point into the spline function at a time.

it still doesn't copy any more points after i tried your post BIGA on march 31st.

• 3 months later...

copying and pasting into AutoCad for Mac from Excel for the Mac does not work. in order for you to copy and paste excel data points into AutoCad for a Mac, you need to copy and paste the excel data points into 'numbers' for the Mac.

then, you can copy and paste data from 'numbers' into AutoCad for the Mac.