X-Ref - Using a Xref that has numerous paper space tabs assigned to it

Civils-CAD

Hi Everyone,

My first question after joining CADtutor.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on my query.

I've started a new job (Civils CAD) and followed the company CAD standards.

I work in the design sector and we use the architects CAD file (that contains no xref's but a few pdf's and plenty of paper space tabs) for a Xref for our civils design drawings.

The issue I have is that I've only ever (in 20 years) used a CAD model file as a xref never a CAD file that already has pdf's attached and paper space tabs with drawings sheets.

Is there an easier way to use their CAD file as xref without the attached pdf's and drawing sheet tabs?

If anyone has had a similar experience or can help I'd be much grateful to hear

thanks

Civils-CAD from UK

This is kind of a general description of what to expect since I am not able to research the details of all the methodology at the moment. I will also tell you things you already know, because other people without so much experience are listening. :)

Go into the dwg you want to attach (before you attach it) and make sure its existing xref pathing is reconciled.

When you xref the dwg file into your new modelspace, make sure the 0,0 orientation is the same. in other words, place the xref image at your own 0,0. Then you can import that dwg's layout tabs you need from its paperspace. They will not automatically come with it.

I am now using 2018 and for the life of me I can't find how to do the layout importing right now. I haven't used it for several years and for a series of new AutoCad versions, and a lot has moved around.

Anyway, once the layouts are imported, either one at a time or in a bunch, you can manipulate them in the usual ways, and assuming the xref is lined up just the way it was in it's own modelspace, the imported layout viewports will show the same thing they did in the dwg you got them from.

If you are going to add a lot of civil stuff outside the structure footprint, you may have to rethink some of the viewport scaling.

As far as the attachments, pdf or otherwise, they should come right along with the xref dwg you attach. If any of the existing xref's in the other drawing are in paperspace, you will only get them if you import those layouts they are attached to.

One thing, if the title block/border of these imported layouts are blocks, and not either simply drawn into paperspace, or exref'd themselves, they may not come with the imported layout tabs. I honestly can't remember.:shock: If you need the title blocks, you may either have to clipboard them in or hunt them down through the design center. I'm pretty sure you won't need them, as you will want to use your own borders and title blocks.

I hope that is enough to let you know it is not excruciatingly difficult, and to get more people to chime in with better answers.

Welcome to the world of nested xref's.:beer:

Edited by Dana W

AHA, found it. :oops: such a simple thing to forget. After a while one gets so used to the ribbon being different, that one assumes EVERYTHING will be in a new place.

Right click an existing layout tab in the receiving drawing, or simply execute the command LAYOUT, and pick From Template. Then browse to the drawing whose layouts you want to cannibalize, and follow the prompts. It will take some browsing. AutoCad opens up the dialog box in the default template folder way down in the sumpin/sumpin/user/roaming/appdata/sumpin/sumpin file tree.

(Somebody's gonna say they can't find the sumpin directory, wait for it...):rofl:

Once you get the layout selection dialog box up, you can select layouts one at a time, shift select,or ctrl select a bunch. They will concatenate behind your existing layouts. in the order of selection.

Oh, and xref'd title block/border dwg's do come with the layout.

Oh yeah, for the newbies only - all xref's in either the attached dwg or the receiving drawing must be available and right where AutoCad expects them to be in the file tree. I Don't have enough beads on my abacus to count the number of times I've received dwg files full of cross references in email, without even one single referenced file accompanying it. ETransmit people, ETransmit.

Edited by Dana W

Welcome to CADTutor Civils-CAD!

AFAIK, you should be able to detach or unload the PDFs and Delete the Layout Tabs. A few images of what you have and maybe a sample drawing showing what you need, if that's not it.

Dana W I believe the OP was wanting to know how to remove the PDFs and Layout Tabs.

Is there an easier way to use their CAD file as xref without the attached pdf's and drawing sheet tabs?

I would highly recommend learning how to change/organize file paths. That way if you have to email it to someone else you can just drag the whole damn folder.

I may have not been clear, at that.

The layouts don't come with, when xref'ing a dwg so I may have just flown on by the how to remove part. It's not an issue unless the object is to reduce the overall size of the xref.

As the OP said. they never (in 20 years) had to use a dwg with layouts in it as an xref, so I somehow figured they were wanting to use the layouts and didn't know the layouts are not included in the actual xref attachment.

It was late, and I am really really old.:? I'm moving to an old drafters home. Anyone up for bingo and hot green tea?

When xref'ing a dwg file into modelspace or paperspace, you only get the stuff in modelspace, right. I've never seen an option to get the paperspace stuff. Can't even imagine a way to manage it.

I wanted to point out that the existing layouts in the xref can be used as is, a lot of the time, simply with an erase and/or detach of the other title block after bringing them in.

Anyway like I said, there are people listening that have far less experience than us. (And I may be one of them soon.:rofl:

Edited by Dana W

took me years before i learned how to scale an xref. lol, i was so use to it automatically doing it in other programs. door jamb is usually the go to.

yes, that makes sense to me. however, using a concrete established object is best. Big drawings scale might be huge. If you are detailing I cant work with those when 1/16 is too big. love mechanical drawings. civil drawings use absurd scales. arch people i do not want to reference. poor structural guys:( Sometimes I will see an object on the xref look it up and find the dimensions. Not recommended. Major point, big drawings might have a 50 scale and if you are trying to scale something to add rebar layout good luck. will not work