SimLab Composer

f700es

Here is a rendering engine that produces great results with little effort. I am using the Ultimate version but they do have a Lite (free) version that might be worth looking at. The free versions renders are limited to 1920x1080.

I use it with SketchUp but they have plugins for almost ANY 3D application as well as direct import of most CAD/3D formats.

Here is a scene made by 2 SU object and a lamp object from SimLab. All I did was click render.

http://www.simlab-soft.com/index.html

SimLab.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• Cad64

• tzframpton

• SLW210

I was in error, I have the Pro version. Not sure why I put down the other. I made a 3D PDF the other week with it for a layout to another dept. They liked it. $200 is a good price for sure.

I'm mainly interested in its ability to create a 3D pdf. So I'm guessing you can move and rotate around? That would be very useful for presenting work to the client.

What sort of file size did you have for that pdf you created?

The link I posted above for the Lite version doesn't work? Nope, doesn't for me either.

Ah, go to the "Try" button and you can download the Trail/Lite version. Duh, they need to fix their button,

Link

Hmmmmm, I downloaded it but I can't open it. I'm using an old version of Acrobat 8.1 though, and I guess the Adobe Reader can't open 3D files? Oh well, thanks anyway.
Ditch the Acrobat and get Bluebeam!

:)

@f700es, cool 3D PDF model. Works great in Bluebeam.

Thanks for testing it Tanner. It's pretty rough but it got the design intent across to the department. It needs some lights and other embellishments.

We have 2 guys here that swear by Bluebeam.

Ditch the Acrobat and get Bluebeam!

Yes, I agree. Bluebeam is great. I had it at the last place I worked and I really liked it. I'm using this old version of Acrobat because it was free and it has always worked for what I need it to do, but if I want to get into the 3D pdf game then I will need to upgrade for sure.

Thanks for testing it Tanner. It's pretty rough but it got the design intent across to the department. It needs some lights and other embellishments.
The 3D embedded inside of a PDF viewer is so convenient though.
We have 2 guys here that swear by Bluebeam.
The paid version is 100% the best and, by a large margin, the most powerful PDF authoring/editing program available.

Yes, I agree. Bluebeam is great. I had it at the last place I worked and I really liked it. I'm using this old version of Acrobat because it was free and it has always worked for what I need it to do, but if I want to get into the 3D pdf game then I will need to upgrade for sure.
I think the free version (Bluebeam Vu) can handle 3D PDF files. May want to give it a shot.

-TZ

I think the free version (Bluebeam Vu) can handle 3D PDF files. May want to give it a shot.

It's getting close to the end of the year and I need some tax write off's, so I may end up buying it and a few other pieces of software. :thumbsup:

Would be nice to get a new computer too, but I don't know if that's in the budget this year. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Playing around with some items and textures from SketchUp and a chair model from the SimLab library. No settings adjusted, just clicked render. Took about 5 minutes at 1080 res.

SU_Simlab_test.jpg

Thanks Rod. Indeed. I await the new Blender update with it's new rendering solution as well. Might just have to FINALLY try to come to grips with it's UI. But like you said, even at full price this is a drop-dead simple rendering solution. I'll have to bring in an AutoCAD model and try to texture and render it.