Rotate viewport so objects in model space are square to paper space.

bell531

Is there a better way of doing this.

Currently I grab the viewport ROTATE then REFERENCE the object in modelspace then use POINTS to choose something in paperspace (e.g. the drawing border).

Then I reshape the rotated viewport with the grips to suit my paperspace.

I am using AutoCAD LT 2012.

I don't want the UCS changed globaly. Thanks.

I don't know LT, can you save a custom UCS? Apply it temporarily, activate it inside the viewport, and go back to World afterward. Use the PLAN command to orient the drawing to the UCS.

It took me a bit of time to explore the options, I work in civil construction so the geographic coordinates are crucial. Good bit of learning, thanks for putting me in the right direction.

We trurn our road works around all the time in layouts, so orientate along sheet, normally use the UCS OB option for pick object, often give it a name also UCS S Road handy if you want to use it again. Just be carefull if using object that it does not have differring Z values as this scews up the UCS. At any time you can always go to like Cyberangel UCS W to get real world co-ordinates.

Thanks BIGAL,

Good points there, I do use the z sometimes otherwise in the absense of FLATTEN in LT i use a little custom button I learned somewhere. Shame i'm stuck on Acad LT. I wish I had BricsCAD, then I could pick up some useful lisps and buy a modest add on for Earthworks volumes and still have money left over. Maybe one day.

It took me a bit of time to explore the options, I work in civil construction so the geographic coordinates are crucial. Good bit of learning, thanks for putting me in the right direction.

AutoCAD has quite the learning curve, but once you get past it, you've got a lot of power at your disposal.