Need help with block insertion and ideas for auto-dimensioning.

aschiffer

Hey. I'm a novice as far as automating things in CAD and was wondering how difficult it would be to implement two things which would save me a heck of a lot of time.

1) I currently have to copy/paste a certain block to the midpoint of a bunch of line segments that exist on the same layer. Is it possible to populate these blocks at the midpoint of every line segment that exists on a specific layer?

2) Is there a method for dimensioning a bunch of line segments of a polyline automatically? I'm thinking something akin to clicking on the inside of a shape composed of a bunch of lines (sort of like when using the bpoly command) and rather than having it just return a polyline, it would also create aligned dimensions associated with the different line segments.

I apologize if either of these get asked about a lot, my AutoCAD knowledge is fairly basic and I'm just now exploring the idea that there's a better way to do things.

Thanks for any responses!

1 very doable there was a post a few days ago about labeling lines it may have been Grr that provided a pretty good answer.

2 just search again its been posted here multiple times, Lee-mac,com has a nice one that produces all the properties of a pline.

Sorry to disappoint you but the answer is not that simple BIGAL has missed the LT label in your profile, and the solutions he points to are probably using Lisp which isn't available in LT. The approach in LT would require the use of macro's, and then you will still need to pick each item individually. Your other option would be to use the list command on all the selected items, and extract the coordinate information using excel's filter, then use a bunch of other features to get at and work out the X and Y mid points of each line. After that create a concatenated list that uses those mid points to create a script that inserts blocks and or uses the dimaligned command to place dimensions at another offset point (again you need to work that out in a formula).

Yes doable, just not very quick, by the time you have it working you could probably have done it a dozen times manually, but is it fun - yeah I do this sort of thing daily, but only if it is for repeatable operations.