AutoCAD help for a Transport Planner!

LiteMayo

Hi

I work in transport planning and want to teach myself how to use AutoCAD. Please can I get advice on where to start if I wish to learn AutoCAD for the purposes of highway design including amending existing highway alignments, introducing new highway alignments/junctions, undertaking vehicle tracking and using KeyLINES?

I'm looking for guidance on where best to start from scratch (i.e. tutorials and which are best for the transport planning profession), which version of AutoCAD is best to have and whether I need to purchase AutoCAD to do the tutorials?

Thank you!!

Dave

Sign up for a three day course on Civil 3D at your local authorized AutoDesk reseller. I don't think it would be a wise decision to try and learn the program on your own.

BTW...you can download a free 30-day trial of any AutoDesk program you choose from their website. Software is no longer bought...it is rented. Rental information (length of time and cost) can be found at the AutoDesk website.

Getting started tutorials for Civil 3D can be found here...https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/getting-started?sort=score

Another option would be to visit https://www.lynda.com/Autodesk-training-tutorials/107-0.html?category=autocad-civil-3d_5922 where you can learn Civil 3D online. There is a monthly fee after the free trial ends.

The official AutoDesk training guide for Civil 3D can be purchased from Ascent for $90 U.S. Go to www.ascented.com.

Here is a resource I literally stumbled across this morning that I found at the Cadalyst website. http://www.cadalyst.com/listing/77/civil-3d

Edited by ReMark

My only question and its not cad related is what is your experience ? Getting cad will not immediately make you a better designer it is just a tool that you can use. If your talking Highway design then I expect you would be working for a reasonable size company, do they have CAD already and can you get access to it ? Or do you want to learn CIV3d as an extra skill set when looking for a job maybe where a senior engineer would give direction as you learn.

Remark, thank you for the comments this is really helpful.

Hi Bigal, I'm associate level who's never had any exposure to CAD so rely on junior members of staff to make amendments to drawings, undertake preliminary design and vehicle tracking. I work from home more and more so need to be able to undertake the above on my own.

Thanks

You're entirely welcomed. I have an Ascent training guide for AutoCAD Electrical and when I took my three day course the instructor basically followed it page for page.

Like Remark happy to help just made sure were not teaching civil design as well as CAD. If your on Subscription it has whats known as work at home license so can be used at home, the BIG but you can not use it at same time as someone in the office though. can some of the juniors give you some guidance ?