Problem with designing the front of a truck

FoxC

Hello!

I am having some trouble modeling the front of this truck. The curvature is wacky to me and I have no idea where to begin on designing this. I have begun on the general outlines and created a 70% complete outline of the truck, minus the front obviously.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks.

One possible option would be to forget the curves during the preliminary modeling process and work with box-like shapes. After the basic configuration is created use the FILLET command to apply a radius where needed.

You shouldn't have to convert anything if you had been using solids in the design of your truck. What exactly did you do? Did you use surfaces? Better yet...attach a copy of the drawing to your next post so we can answer that question for ourselves. We need a .dwg file an image file.

Edited by ReMark

You shouldn't have to convert anything if you had been using solids in the design of your truck. What exactly did you do? Did you use surfaces? Better yet...attach a copy of the drawing to your next post so we can answer that question for ourselves. We need a .dwg file an image file.

As SLW210 said, I probably should've used solid shapes.

1.dwg

It looks like you used a mix of lines, arcs, 3D solids and extruded surfaces. The extruded surfaces appear to be going in many different directions too.

Perhaps you should consider starting over.

BTW...this is supposed to be a model truck and not a full-sized version right?

You might want to check through the Solid Editing commands. You may find Taper Faces useful as well as some of the others like Union, Subtract and Intersect.

There are some conversion tools, but I too would suggest you start over using Solids, if you have particular problems with any command come back here and ask for some help.

Fillet will work for a lot of the curvature but for more complex curves you might consider slicing the solid using a surface as the slicing object.

Fillet will work for a lot of the curvature but for more complex curves you might consider slicing the solid using a surface as the slicing object.

Assuming of course that one used solids to create the 3D model in the first place which in this case the OP did not. This very important point was mentioned previously.

It looks like you used a mix of lines, arcs, 3D solids and extruded surfaces. The extruded surfaces appear to be going in many different directions too.

Perhaps you should consider starting over.

BTW...this is supposed to be a model truck and not a full-sized version right?

Yeah I have begun with this tip in mind.

I didn't make up my mind when sketching. I probably will start again with a smaller version of this.

You might want to check through the Solid Editing commands. You may find Taper Faces useful as well as some of the others like Union, Subtract and Intersect.

There are some conversion tools, but I too would suggest you start over using Solids, if you have particular problems with any command come back here and ask for some help.

Yeah I will do. Thanks.

Yeah I have begun with this tip in mind.

I didn't make up my mind when sketching. I probably will start again with a smaller version of this.

Actually, just remembered; I was going to make the truck the real life dimensions and then scale it down to a printable model. If I just created it with inches the dimensions could be wacky.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a quick model on the RV and I can't figure out the fillet command. The AutoCad tutorial doesn't really help me and I don't know any other good sources. I have gotten this far and any help would be great.

Thanks.

I did a quick model on the RV and I can't figure out the fillet command.

1. Start the Fillet command

2. Type "R" for Radius

3. Enter the radius amount you want for the Fillet like 6" or 12" or whatever

4. Select the edge you want to Fillet and then hit Enter twice

You can also Fillet several edges at one time by using the "Chain" option

2. Type "R" for Radius

4. Select the edge you want to Fillet and then hit Enter

5. Type "C" for Chain

6. Select more edges and then hit Enter when you're done selecting

2. Type "R" for Radius

4. Select the edge you want to Fillet and then hit Enter twice

You can also Fillet several edges at one time by using the "Chain" option

2. Type "R" for Radius

4. Select the edge you want to Fillet and then hit Enter

5. Type "C" for Chain

6. Select more edges and then hit Enter when you're done selecting

Awesome thanks. One more if you don't mind. I've started on the show building itself and I am concerned on how to make the walls disappear when the camera zooms to a specific place so you can see the interior. Any ideas for that?

I've started on the show building itself and I am concerned on how to make the walls disappear when the camera zooms to a specific place so you can see the interior.

Take a look at camera clipping planes: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-D06A6280-D5B7-4AE4-8D16-D0BA8DEEF6E8-htm.html

Here's a video tutorial. The guitar music in the background is very annoying and actually a bit distracting, but it's really the only good video tutorial I could find on the subject.