Linked Revit Model Moving Unexpectedly

drewbranson10

Hello,

We are working on a project where we are linking in the architects model into our MEP model. We have been updating our model every time we get a new one and have had no issues for the last few months. All of a sudden last week we got a new model that seems to have the same coordinates as it has had, but after it is linked in and we open our MEP model and the architects base moves south by 25'. I have been trying to figure out what could have made this happen but I am at a loss. We are using Revit 2018. We can load the previous version of the architects model from before this one and it loads in just fine. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of fixes for this.

Contact the architectural team and ask them if they adjusted the Project Base Point or Survey Point.

FYI: Always use Shared Coordinates when Linking so Revit can adjust automatically for you in cases like this.

-TZ

Alright, I checked with the architects and they said they did not change the origin and it appears as if they did not. You could open the MEP Model and a copy of the arch model and copy and paste between and everything showed up in the right place. It was just after you saved that arch file as the base to our MEP that the problem happened. I was able to put it in as a new link and it came in where it should have been so the only thing I could find to do to fix it in the amount of time we have was to remove the old link and load this one in as a new one. That broke all of the associations of our hosted items but did not delete them.

I gave up Hosted Elements many moons ago, for exactly this reason (among other things).

Well, as for "what happened", this could have been anything, really. This is why it's always best practice to use Shared Coordinates. It removes all doubt. Pinning the Link(s) is best, too, so they don't get accidentally click+dragged. Entry level Revit users sometimes don't understand Revit's vague errors when things like this happen and it can re-position the model by accident when it's "fixed". Sounds like you got it figured out.

-TZ

Thank you for the assistance. I am not entirely sure what happened with it, we have it set so that we can't select links so I don't think we dragged it. I think something happened with the coordinates so from now on I will use the Shared Coordinates setting.