Civil
    howitzer's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Engineering Technician
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2015

Default Survey: How important is linework accuracy?

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I'm interested in what others do and/or think, wondering if I'm on track, or whacked out.

How important is it that linework be accurate? By accurate I mean, lines that are supposed to be parallel are indeed parallel, not a couple seconds off... two lines that are supposed to meet at their endpoints, do indeed meet at their endpoints, not overlap... things like that.

My position is, or has evolved to be, that you save yourself so much time and trouble and heartache in the long run if you're accurate from the very beginning. It's easier to do it right from the start than it is to do it wrong then make it look right, especially where dynamic labeling is concerned. Even if it ostensibly 'doesn't matter because it won't be built that close anyway'. If I'm laying out a sidewalk, for example, I expect the sides of the sidewalk to be parallel. I expect lines/arcs to be tangent (excepting the rare scenario where you have no choice for whatever reason).

Others in my firm do not believe I should be so dogmatic about it, that there are times where it's just wasting time for something that will never matter. Yet, in my experience, my rear end has been saved from blame because my linework was accurate. If nothing else, there's potential liability reasons.

Your thoughts?

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

To me it is actually easier and quicker to do things accurately, and it looks so much nicer. From the stand point of getting something like a sidewalk built it probably doesn't matter, but I can't bring myself to "sketch" with CAD.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Your listed as CIVIL so with GPS setouts, 3d machine control accuracy is becoming more important. Its so easy to do it correct using snap and ortho to say it does not matter is not the sign of a good designer.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Computer Details
    steven-g's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7
    Discipline
    Construction
    steven-g's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Draughtsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    I work in the estimating department of a large building contractor.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

I probably spend half my time making other peoples drawings accurate, I have to take off quantities from drawings supplied by others, and it is so much easier to do that if polylines are closed and not made up of overlapping objects, it's a fairly simple formula to find the length and width of a wall given perimeter and area, but only if that information is accurate. For a 160 apartment tower block, it can take me nearly a week to clean up the drawings and get things on sensible layers. It is then just a question of days to take off the quantities and create the schedules, doing all that normally is 3 to 4 weeks.
    And by far the best drawings, in general, come from the structural engineers, that's just a question of checking for odd errors. Drawings from Architects, that's just hoping that you can find a few that are straight. I think many of the errors are due to how "other" programs are converted to dwg.
    I've just been down graded from 2012LT to full Autocad 2017. I WANT LT BACK

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

It's too easy to draw it accurate and correct to accept anything less. Like rkent, I see no reason to sketch with AutoCAD.

I fix any and all drawings I get or come across with inaccurate CAD work, if I am to work in them, if someone just wants something printed, I rarely bother to check it over for such things unless it just doesn't look right. Like steven-g, I find some programs convert poorly to dwg.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Computer Details
    CyberAngel's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Discipline
    Architectural
    CyberAngel's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Drafter
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Roofing and Waterproofing
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

It's been my experience that, once an error creeps in, it will get carried through everything that connects with it. An architect will use fractional units and believe that getting within 1/4" is close enough. In other words, he'd never see a difference as large as .12. After a few more near misses, each one amplifying the ones before, he'd wonder why his stuff wasn't lining up properly.

As SLW210 says, there's no excuse for doing it wrong when you have the tools to do it right. The people who will use your drawings are expected to work within certain tolerances. You owe it to them, and everyone else, to do the same.
    breaking AutoCAD on a regular basis since 1991

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Accuracy is paramount in the world of design. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be doing something else.

A defect in a measuring device used to polish the mirror for the $1.5 billion Hubbell telescope made it virtually useless. It took a second mission (and additional monies) to fix the problem.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    dtkell's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win7
    CPU:
    Intel I5 4670
    RAM:
    16mb
    Discipline
    Civil
    dtkell's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Drafter/Designer
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

I thought the ease of drawing accurately was one of the benefits of using a computer aided drafting program. If you don't want accuracy, use a pencil.

Computer Details
    howitzer's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7-64 Pro
    RAM:
    8GB
    Graphics:
    nVid-something
    Discipline
    Civil
    howitzer's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Engineering Technician
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2015

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like we're all pretty much on the same page... no pun intended.

I like the word 'sketch' for what I am describing. I think that's highly descriptive. The way I portrayed it is that, if accuracy isn't important, then we can buy some lesser program than AutoCAD and save a lot of money... but we don't, because accuracy IS important.

Turns out that I am not the only one who fixes things that aren't right when I get a drawing from someone else. Even if it's someone within my own company. If I get a drawing from an architect my mind is already conditioned to know that I will be reconstructing the majority of their drawing. I once had to trash literally an entire site layout once because not a single thing was accurate. Even the arcs for curb returns was just a series of short lines, all wildly inconsistent in length, that looked fine in a plot on paper, but served no useful purpose whatsoever.

Computer Details
    Ski_Me's Computer Details
    Computer:
    DELL (why oh lord must I suffer)
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Ski_Me's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Fire Alarm tech
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

My drawings are not accurate at all I even tell people don't use my drawings to confirm the distance or the size of some feature that may be on the drawing. Most of the time the drawings I get are vectored PDFs that I convert to DWG. Then I have to scale them up. Of course doing fire alarm drawings accuracy of the drawing is not the most important part it's showing where the devices are going and how many. I know it sounds strange but my drawings are only for a relationship between devices installed and to where they are going. Any thing that requires any accuracy I show in a typical or a detail with dimensions. Rule of thumb is not to have your thumb where the hammer is going to hit. Translated leave the hammer alone and don't hold nails.