C3D - Grey Plus sign when trying to add vertex to polyline

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

i'm using Civil 3D as Autocad (the shortcut way) but when i try to add vertices to a polyline the first one usually works, but while still have the polyline selected and click on a grip to add another vertex it just won't work.

Some grey plus icons appear and those must be the problem.

I don't care what they do, i just want them disabled, is there any command or setting for that?

Selection of two or more objects and there is some grip points shared or stacked, C3d will only display one grip with a gray plus sign to indicate there are two or more grip points from separate objects.

This would be the case if you were to select a closed polyline and the hatch within, the endpoint grips would have no 'plus' markers but the midpoints would as there is one grip for the polyline midpoint and one directly beneath for the hatch midpoint.

• 2 months later...

Ok, it has been a while, trying to live with this monstrosity... but it's biting me in the ass again.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/c990b5ff-dce8-4ba6-99cd-49f947ca7053.html

i made a screencast to show what i mean. Searching the net it gives answers like "There are double lines" and some things with hatches, but i really don't care anymore what it's for, i just want to get rid of it.

That 'plus sign' thing makes it so i have to deselect the line before i can ad another vertex, and if you have to edit a line that is a real drag if this applies (it's not Always the case).

So, where is the option to turn this off? It's not in the normal Autocad version as far as i know, so it must be something you can shut off..

Just want to share:

If you dont use any Civil3D features in, i recommend you use plain AutoCAD.

When you use Civil3D as AutoCAD, the system is less stable, and there is always some C3D data and features stored in the DWG.

Als the system runs slower i.m.o.

We have been testing Civil3D as AutoCAD for a while, but everybody 'hated' the environment for plain 2D jobs.

We have been testing Civil3D as AutoCAD for a while, but everybody 'hated' the environment for plain 2D jobs.

i couldn't agree more, but using 2 CAD versions means 2 licences. Civil 3D is used 10% (real civil3D stuf, surfaces, profiles, corridors, the works) of the time and the rest is 90% work i can do in regular AutoCAD.

I have a lot more fatal errors in Civil 3D for just regular CAD work.

But unless you can find me an good (financial) excuse to run 2 packets side by side i just have to make it work :(...

As SLW210 pointed out it's a Civil 3D issue: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Polyline-quick-edit-command-only-works-the-first-time-Civil-3D.html

Issue:

When trying to edit a vertex of a pline, the option only appears for the first edit. This doesn't happen in AutoCAD 2018 or Civil 3D 2017.

Causes:

No known cause at this time. The issue has been escalated to the development team for a possible cause and resolution.

Solution:

While the line is selected type RE (redraw) and the menu will appear again.

If you de-select the polyline and reselect, the command will work again for one edit.

As stated in the above post, i don't remember ever had this problem in previous versions.

Using RE (regen?, not redraw, but probably the same) seems to be a tiny bit quicker than reselecting... but damn... almost 1 year later and still no fix.

Well, just a couple of months before 2019 comes out, and i'll bet it will be in there as well :(.

Good thing there are lisp routines to fix most issues. Found one that mimics the function of 'convert to arc' (or back to straight line) in the last post on this page: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/convert-polyline-line-segments-to-arc-segments/td-p/5813285.

Found one to add vertexes (vertices?) too: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?83833-Adding-Vertex-shortcuts

Anyone wanting to make some concoction of these to make this into 1 lisp routine? :P.

Edited by OMEGA-ThundeR

AddVtx&DelVtx.lsp by Gilles Chanteau had options I used until the feature was added to Autocad: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?68868-Adding-vertexes-to-a-polyline#10

I added macros to LWPline Object Menu

Add Vertex:

^C^C^P(or C:addvtx (load "AddVtx&DelVtx.lsp"));addvtx

Delete Vertex:

^C^C^P(or C:DelVtx (load "AddVtx&DelVtx.lsp"));DelVtx

Can't use/test the fix right away (system security won't let my files be changed in that folder #OMG), but just noticed that a 'heavy' polyline don't seem to suffer from this. So converting a existing polyline to a 2d (heavy) polyline would do the trick.

Setting the sysvariable 'plinetype' to 0 makes any new polyline to be a 2d polyline.

But if that fix works, that would be great!

That would be one hell of a work-a-round! Just to throw more out into this thread though, while I don't know much about the fine differences between normal PLINE and 3DPOLY, I was reading that the issue doesn't happen with 3DPOLY lines when used in place of normal PLINEs. Might also be worth a shot :beer:

• 1 month later...