3D Sweep help!

Greendamo

Hi,

When using the sweep command on handrail profile, is there a way of stopping the sweep from twisting the profile out of shape? i have attached an image showing what i get.

I know there is a command in sketchup called 'follow me' which works well. I cant find anything in Autocad that gives me the correct results!

Thanks for you help in advance.

Damian

HR - Sweep.jpg

Have you looked at the command line options as you sweep?

What have you tried? There is Alignment and Twist (which has options).

The following prompts are displayed.

Objects to Sweep

Specifies an object to use as the sweep profile.

Sweep Path

Specifies the sweep path based on the object you select.

Mode

Controls whether the sweep action creates a solid or a surface. Surfaces are swept as either NURBS surfaces or procedural surfaces, depending on the SURFACEMODELINGMODE system variable.

Alignment

Specifies whether the profile is aligned to be normal to the tangent direction of the sweep path.

If the profile is not perpendicular (normal) to the tangent of the start point of the path, then the profile automatically aligns. Enter No at the alignment prompt to prevent this.

Base Point

Specifies a base point for the objects to be swept.

Scale

Specifies a scale factor for a sweep operation. The scale factor is uniformly applied to the objects that are swept from the start to the end of the sweep path.

• Reference. Scales the selected objects based on the length you reference by picking points or entering values.

Twist

Sets a twist angle for the objects being swept. The twist angle specifies the amount of rotation along the entire length of the sweep path.

Bank. Specifies whether the curve(s) being swept will naturally bank (rotate) along a 3D sweep path (3D polyline, spline, or helix).