Autocad 2016 setting to metric and displaying meter in dimensions

ketanco

Hello

I am beginner. I wanted to ask how can I display the dimension units? It only says 30 but I want it to say 30m. And by the way I think by default it is at inches and feet so how can I change it so I draw in metric system?

Welcome to CADTutor Ketanco. :)

Go into OPTIONS, look at the screenshot, and redefine your Default QNew template. Just BROWSE to whichever of the ones ending in ISO, suits your needs.

Be sure to confirm your selection by clicking on OK once you have chosen one.

The screenshot is from 2013, but yours will look essentially the same.

You should do a search for the -dwgunits command, as it will prove very helpful down the road.

If you typically work in Metric, be sure to start with a Metric (ISO) template.

Choose a new default metric template.jpg

You can use the -dwgunits command to alter your units, from what are probably currently mms to meters.

Expand your commandline so you can see about 10 lines, to better understand the steps it will take you through.

Don't rush going through the -dwgunits sequence, read your commandline, and follow the prompts.

You can specify that a SUFFIX be added to your dimensions in the DIMSTYLE Manager, on the Primary Units tab, as shown in the screenshot.

I don't do Civil, there may be a more appropriate ISO template than the one you selected, as you want to default to meters.

Lots of people on the forum who will know about that though.

displaying meters in dimension.jpg

thanks a lot,

and how can ı set the scale and units of my drawing area in the first place?

for example it is different to draw a 10 cm machine part detail than drawing a 10 meter bridge cross section. I will draw a bridge cross section in meters. Do I need to set a scale and unit for my work area or it doesnt work that way and I just draw it, it zooms in and out inifinitely, and, I label my dimensions in any text I want manually?

In other words, I mean measuring something in that space, does it mean I am measuring a feet or meters or cm etc... OR, I am measuring a ''number'' and then with dimstyle I am the one who labels it manually as mm or m or feet or cm?

Ideally one draws everything in model space to real world size (1:1). One unit can represent anything you want. "Scale" can be addressed by way of layouts and the use of viewports. Viewports are assigned a scale not the objects in model space. So the user can have a drawing that includes one or more viewports and each can have a different scale. When it comes to text and dimensions there are two options. Text and dimensions can be placed in model space using annotative scaling or they can be placed in one's layout(s). I recommend that you test both options and see which one works best for your particular situation.

Everything you draw should be drawn full sized in Modelspace.

You DO NOT draw to scale, as you might working on an infinite sized sheet of paper.

Scales will be applied through Viewports in Paperspace.

Time to go through some basic tutorials, before you acquire bad habits born of winging it.

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/

There are also loads of good tutorials on the Tutorials tab on this site.

Whoops, ReMark beat me to it.

He should read that great thread of yours about the proper use of viewports! :beer:

Perfect timing, as I want to get off the magic-box, and go eat some dinner!

You are in good hands ketanco, listen to ReMark and you will learn plenty. :|