Loft-ing a constant shape

nasoox

How to loft two or one profile with guide lines with this rules:

-Loft will follow 4 guide lines, one guide conect left side of one profile to the left side etc. with one guide per side.

-Guide lines don't need to connect profiles at same spots but need to connect them at same sides.

-Edited : Loft will not make 'bumps' but will stretch profile so horizontal lines from profile will stay horizontal and vertical will stay vertical.

What command or software can doo that? (Vanila Auto CAD, Civil, Electical, Microsoft paint, doesnt matter what software)

Thank you :)

Drawing1-Model.jpg

Drawing1.dwg

Edited by nasoox

What are you trying to create that requires the three criteria you have set forth for your "perfect" Loft command?

Its a 3d representation of underground tunnel (like tunel for traffic) from survey points for walls, roof and floor. It have constant shape , but different width, height and orientation, i need to stretch profile (not scale, sry, error) to touch and follow gude lines.

I edited main question and I make one sketch of what I need.

Edited by nasoox

Create one master profile for the first section. Make copies of it at the end of the tunnel and anywhere else you want. Create a guide if necessary (e.g., if you only have a start and end profile). Modify the copied profile as necessary without changing the basic topology of the shape. By modifying a copy of the master profile you are assured that the shape will loft "nicely".

The yellow shape was created with AutoCAD loft between 4 profiles. The green with two profiles and a guide.

loft.jpg

Thank you for your reply, so you basically say that its impossible for cad to know that it needs to scale profile between guides, so I need to modify and insert profiles at each change (and that is tedious job as hell)

I don't think I used the word "impossible" although some things are. Some users are looking for a "read my mind" mode which I have found to be quite difficult to implement. You may be able to use a few profiles and a good guide spline to get the results you need. Without seeing more specifics about what you are trying to do it is impossible to say.

~Lee

A 3D scan of the tunnel would give you a point cloud to work with wouldn't it? No need to create and loft profiles or somehow come up with "smart" guides.

A 3D scan of the tunnel would give you a point cloud to work with wouldn't it? No need to create and loft profiles or somehow come up with "smart" guides.

Unfortunately, 3D scaners are extremely expensive, and they wont benefit us nothing that we need for working except it would look pretty. I will upload now in main thread one dwg file with example of our survey with couple of lines just to represent how it look in 3D.

I uploaded one dwg file in main post with example of our survey, i drew couple of lines to represent how ceiling and floor would look like, while spline represents vertical walls. I would like to know if its possible to do that with this kind of information cause its impossible to survey edges (ceiling edges are completely irregular and floor ones are covered with rocks and other materials), and if possible how to do it or just to get directions where to search. Im tired of looking at commercials with nice looking projects (simple extrusions of nice looking shapes and all mining software presents mines like that) cause thats what they are, just projects with no real world data.

Doing a tunnel this may be one approach you can string all the survey points along the tunnel based on xyz and a code for each string like leftfloor rightfloor. You can create surfaces of the tunnel from Civ3d or similar tubes are not directly supported so make maybe 2-3 surfaces bottom top etc. cross sections could be cut then. Making 3dfaces is feasible but I am sure there will be something already out there.

But the other way would be to treat the points as a cloud data set and see how Civ3d handles the tube.

No cad at moment.

You helped me a lot, I created two TIN surfaces from points for top and bottom with boundary from wall points! And froms surface tools I used extract solids from surfaces, its not automated but its so much easier than drawing bunch of profiles.:lol:

BTW: what requires more PC power, surfaces or solids? This is just small portion of map, real one is really huge (about 20Mb of points, lines and text)

Capture.jpg