Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by oftenly View Post
    Oh man, thanks for the responses guys, especially Dana! I actually got really angry with myself yesterday afternoon about this stuff, and kinda gave up on this thread, but I'm glad I decided to check it again!

My afternoon's too tight to really try this stuff out, but I have some preliminary questions, if I may:

- I understand assigning annotative scales... sorta. Setting ANNOAUTOSCALE to anything but 0, as Dana describes, is what I thought Autocad would already do naturally. It seems this basically gives you the option to assign a scale that is different from your viewport scale... and I don't know why anyone would ever want that. Maybe that's a dumb thing to say, since I've only been drafting for a year or so, but this entire concept just seems like a confusing middle-man to me. Is it not a foregone conclusion that I want the dimension line to be scaled to the viewport scale, whatever it may be? What else could I possibly want? I suppose these questions are more philosophical than technical...
    Letting AutoCad add the current scale automatically is for using the same set of dimensions in more than one viewport, of course. I however, prefer to add the second or third scale to particular dimensions manually. I guess if one had 400 viewports and only one model, like a nuclear sub or something to deal with, that would be another thing. Maybe then automatically adding the current scale would be a good thing. I still think there would be a nightmare of dimension spacing to look at and fix. There may be something I haven't learned yet about spacing out multi-scale annotative dimensions a uniform distance apart. It may be the fixed length extension line option, not sure. I intend to experiment with that as soon as some slack time hits at work. I don't draw nuclear subs, I draw cabinetry and millwork so I seldom need more than 40 or so viewports and three to four different scales.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    The beauty of putting all dimensions in one's layout......ONE dimension style and only ONE system variable to worry about....Associative.
    You apparently come from a planet where nothing that has already been dimensioned is ever modified.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

- "This is why I try very hard not to have more than one scale assigned to any one set of dimensions." -- This is exactly what I'm trying to do! I have dimensions in model space in a dynamic block, and I don't know the scale of the viewport in which they'll end up, but those model space dimension lines ultimately need to mimic my paper space dimensions. The viewport could be at literally any conceivable scale, and the block will be used across dozens if not hundreds of drawings. I don't think pre-assigning an infinite number of scales would really work...
    I am still working on this one too. I have found that everything stays 1:1 inside a block, so annotative scales are pretty much ineffective in there, at least for me, and any text stays the same relative size to the rest of the block. I am using one annotative block consisting of ONLY non-annotative multi-line text, so it scales to match individual viewports. I used to use it in paperspace non-annotatively but usually had to move it around for every new viewport.
    Last edited by Dana W; 9th Dec 2017 at 03:28 am.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

- Not sure if it's important, but my model space is always scaled at 1:1, as a rule.
    Not sure it's imp...... ...... people get fired or at least yelled at for not doing this. The worst two weeks of my life was spent modifying and correcting a huge project where the original draftsman had scaled every single view in modelspace simply to "fit nicely" at no particular scale in each of 344 separate full page viewports, all set to 1:1. I can now scale to a reference, in my sleep. Seriously, the drawing was a bunch of randomly scaled junk.
    Last edited by Dana W; 9th Dec 2017 at 03:26 am.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Am I really the only guy who wants literally every dimension in every drawing to be the same format?
    Well, there's at least two of us.

I don't like to toot horns in my own behalf, but out of the three draftspersons in my shop, I am the only one who has any written rave reviews of my drawings from our general contractors or project owners (clients), and I have six of them in the last two years. It is mostly due to me having close to 50 years drafting experience, but in that time I have learned the immeasurable value of uniform text and dimension formating.

Making a drawing easily readable is at least 50% of drafting. The rest is not leaving anything out, and not including superfluous junk.

There are people who feel it necessary to draw six separate views, and at least one section view of a featureless matte black solid cube of rubber and spend hours on google looking for the perfect rubber hatch for the section view.

The secret is making sure the fabricators get everything they need to see without unnecessarily clouding things up with phouffy things the client thinks they need to see while not peeing off the client. It's kinda like keeping my wife happy.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dadgad View Post
    Late to the party and haven't read everything, but you mentioned scaling your model space at 1:1.
    One does not appy scale to modelspace but rather to viewports in your paperspace.
    Stick to drawing life-sized in your modelspace (1:1) and preferably in the appropriate (meaning intended) units, on an appropriate template, meaning either Metic or Imperial to suit your project.

Dana, you really went the extra mile!
    Aw, shucks. Considering the level of complexity in scaling, and annotative scaling, it was only an extra inch.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Aw, shucks. Considering the level of complexity in scaling, and annotative scaling, it was only an extra inch.
    That's what she said, about the complexity, meaning the former bartendress of your formative years!
    I still avoid annotative, and associative when using Autocad, for that matter, but using ProSteel, it is way beyond just Associative!
    Like ReMark, I am happiest dimensioning in Paperspace, and if I need to redimension something, so be it.
    In ProSteel, it is all done in Modelspace.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    You apparently come from a planet where nothing that has already been dimensioned is ever modified.
    They do but in our line of work 99% of the time the fact that the dimensions are associative makes it a non-issue.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.