Adding Tools to Toolpalette for all Users

guitarguy1685

I am having trouble with how ACAD places new tools on existing tool palettes.

The way we have it set is the Toolpalette library is stored on our Server. However we have some users that are always in the office and some that travel. So to make things simpler we download all these files to everyones local.

My issue:

We have several ToolPalettes currently setup. We need to add some new items to existing palettes. I want to add a tool near the top of the list of tools. When I make the changes and save them to the server and then load them onto a test computer the new item is at the very end of the tools.

What I think is happening is that the location of the tools are saved by the Users Profile. So while the palettes are locked you can still move the tools around and your profile saves its location.

The only way I can force the desired order is to remove the palette path and then remap it. I'd have to do this for all users ;(

Is there an easier way to do this?

Back in my AutoCAD days, the only fix with networked pathed Tool Palettes was this:

Right click on a Palette Tab, click New Palette. It'll come up as an empty palette. Go to the other palette that needs updating, and Ctrl+Shift select the very first object (eve if it's a Palette Text), scroll down to the bottom of the Palette and Shift+Select the last object. Copy and Paste these tools into the new palette. Delete the existing palette, and add in your new stuff and organize it the way you want, and rename it the same as the old palette.

What this did was create a new *.ATC file. So it's named the same, organized the same to all the other users, but to AutoCAD it's a brand new Palette. This was the only way I was ever able to re-organize an existing palette.

Bit of a workaround but it worked just fine. Hope this helps.

-TZ