Need help on how to model this shape

guitarguy1685

H]I consider myself pretty decent at modeling but this shape has me at a loss. I feel like I was on the right track but can't complete the shape. Please see the image in the link below.

https://i.imgur.com/vPh8B2f.png

In elevation, the shape is half of an ellipse. In plan I created the curve using Arc->End->Direction. I divided this geometry into 10 equal parts to create the shapes for lofting. So the first shape is an Arc with Chord that is 152.4X7. Each successive shape just gets smaller but at the end I have no shape because width and hight went to zero (feels like a calculus problem).

so i have no shape to end my loft. So i'm left with the image you see. I thought I could grab the face and pull it and let autocad fill in the geometry. But autocad wont continue the curve of the ellpse. so It leaves me with the image you see far left.

I dont know where to go from here.

See attachment here.

Solid Face.dwg

You wanted the final portion to be a 3D solid right?

Will this do?

FlyingWedge.jpg

I did it using the Point and Loft commands. I recommend the Guides option of the Loft command and selecting the two arc segments either side of the centerline.

Anything else? I was hoping for more of a challenge. Tired of shoveling snow. LOL

Anything else? I was hoping for more of a challenge.

SAVAGE! lol.

So how did you do this? I see the point option. I don't know what to do with this. I still end up with an open end.

Okay, so I think i see what you did. It looks good in elevation but in plan it does not follow the arc. See image below

https://imgur.com/TiobLBW

So I picked the first section, used the Point command to select the end of the loft, then I used the ellipse as the guide (I split it in half because I was getting an error otherwise)

You can see it dips under my curve at the beginning then it bulges out.

So I'm getting closer. I can get all the other areas to fit my curve but im still getting a bludge at the last section. This time I picked all the cross sections I created, then I used POINT to select the end. Then I used Guides and selected the Ellipse. It's the last section that is still getting me.

So I think I got it solved. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it but it seems to have worked. Using your method ReMark this is what I did.

I started with the 1st section, then picked the rest.

I used the Point option to select the end of the Loft

Next I used the Guide options and used the 2 ellipse arcs. I added a 3rd guide for the top.

This gave me my shape but with some excess at the bottom,

I just sliced this off and voila! I have my shape. I superimposed my wireframe over it to do some spot checking and it looks good.

screen shot

https://i.imgur.com/YXPZ4QR.png?1

Thanks for the direction ReMark. I was really stuck there lol. I learn something new everyday!