Can someone explain what happening in the backstage when switching layouts?

samifox

Using Autocad 2018,

I have really complicated drawing with 8 layouts. I'm suffering of long delay switching among layouts tabs.

Since I have only 8GB RAM I can't afford caching all 8 layouts so I cache only the current and the last viewports.

I've monitored the computer resources during switching layouts and I see no demands for any resource, just delay with no any indication.

Can someone explain what happening in the backstage when switching layouts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samifox

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a dwg with 88 layouts and it switches reasonably, have you tried say making sure you are always in paperspace not model ? This may help regens or the opposite may work better.

Linetypes can really hammer Autocad if you have like a dot linetype with tiny tiny dots just watch it grind.

I have access to a computer, here at work, with 8GB RAM that is also running AutoCAD 2018. Upload the drawing to Dropbox and post a link here. I can then download and test the drawing then report back the results.

Check your properties of the viewports.

All layouts have a propery of 'ANNOTATION SCALE' and 'STANDARD SCALE'

When standardscale is 1:1 or 1:1000, diferent than your annotation scale OR the standardscale it NOT set to custom, then AutoCAD will be extremely slow at regeneration all layout tabs.

Setting the standard scale the same value as the annotation scale will give a big boost the the working speed of the layouts.

I opened your dwg in Civ3d 2016 and ran a zoom all tabs it just went through all of them with no delay and its a I3 with 8Gb. Picking tabs off the layout list only took seconds to change.

Please update your signature it says 2010 but the dwg supplied is a 2017 ?

I would have a guess that if your not running CIV3d its a problem with proxy objects.

I opened your dwg in Civ3d 2016 and ran a zoom all tabs it just went through all of them with no delay and its a I3 with 8Gb. Picking tabs off the layout list only took seconds to change.

Please update your signature it says 2010 but the dwg supplied is a 2017 ?

I would have a guess that if your not running CIV3d its a problem with proxy objects.

hi

ive Etransmitted the drawing with AEC exploded profile and load it again.

the preformence issues remain the same.

im runing it on I7 8GB RAM

im sure it has nothing to do with the hardwere as i cant see any resorce demand while switching layouts.

its softwere level problem

Check the value of TREEDEPTH and TREEMAX.

Have you tried -PURGE?

TREEDEPTH is on 3020 and TREEMAX is on 10,000,000

what are they? there is no effect what ever values i set it

I still wonder why so many of the drawings you post have problems of one kind or another. Is it the number of different people that work on them? This drawing has entities (ex. - dimensions) that are far removed from the main concentration of objects. Why is that?

I did not experience any problems switching between layouts but my computer specs are slightly better being an i7 with 12GB RAM and a 4GB vidRAM graphics card.

I still wonder why so many of the drawings you post have problems of one kind or another. Is it the number of different people that work on them? This drawing has entities (ex. - dimensions) that are far removed from the main concentration of objects. Why is that?

I did not experience any problems switching between layouts but my computer specs are slightly better being an i7 with 12GB RAM and a 4GB vidRAM graphics card.

Every drawing has history of vertical software AEC, user misuse, or bad management.

My hardware is not far of what you are using

I7

8 RAM

GTX 1050 4 GRAM

SSD

Anyway looking at the resources monitor can't see any demand AutoCAD poses on the hardware when switching layout tabs.

The issue happened at the application level with no indication of any visible reason for that delay.

I'm using AutoCAD 2018 currently but have 2017 loaded as well. I think the problem is hardware related not software.

so why i cant see CPU, graphic card, RAM,hardisk overload while switching layouts?

Likewise...if it is a problem with AutoCAD then why don't those of us who opened and tested your drawing experience the same problem?

any user that test the drawing runing different system variables values and configeration.

it doesnt make sense that you didnt expireince problems with I3 and im having them with I7.

You did not answer my question about CIV3D proxy objects, are you running Civ3d ?

Did you check CONFIG, SYSTEM, Graphics Performance and tick on hardware acceleration.

i got the same result with hardware acceleration on / off

what you mean by "CONFIG, SYSTEM, Graphics Performance" ?