AutoCAD 2018 Slow Performance

Bill Tillman

I'm working on an dwg file which is 29MB in size. It's loaded with all kinds of layer and blocks, and an XREF for the title block on about 21 layout tabs. There's no doubt this file is grinder because the two machines I've run it on, an I7 w/12 cores and 32GB of RAM and a brand new Dell with Xeon cpus and 32 GB of RAM. The performance with this file is slow but it does work. The real trouble comes when I edit a block or do a zoom all in model space. There's also been trouble when I'm zooming in real close on a couple of lines. This has cause the Xeon machine to completely lockup. And tonight I ran it for the first time on this I7 machine. It's doing okay but when I edited a block, and then did not save the changes, when closing the block editor it took a good 3 minutes for the machine to start responding again. Is this just something we have to expect with files so larger and bloated.

My first instinct would not be to blame the computer but the drawing. I would first clean up the drawing as best I could then test before jumping to any conclusions.

I experience massive performance problems when I receive dwg's that are full of DGN linetypes and fonts. My first course of action is to Purge and Audit. Also, run the command line -Purge command to eliminate all Regapps. I have also started running the WBLOCK command on problematic drawings. I switch to Model space, make sure my UCS is set to World, then I run Wblock and choose the "Entire Drawing" option. This will export everything out to a new file, without all the garbage. You should see a drastic reduction in file size and your performance should get back to normal without all the slow downs.

My biggest is 25Mb no xrefs 88 layouts and just works fine. Go to model and zoom around etc. I7 16Gb

Do the purge make sure the Orphaned data button is ticked on need that for DGN stuff and do an Audit.

Do the same on the Xref as well.