Can't plot anything that is on a layer assigned the color "red"

ReMark

Bug or quirk?

I'm not even sure when this first started to happen. And whenever it did I just thought I had done something wrong. But today I did some testing to confirm the above. If I assign the color "red" to a layer the objects will not display in preview nor will they plot. The particulars are as follows:

-This happens in both AutoCAD 2017 and 2018. I mostly use 2018 now but I decided to also test using 2017.

-Color is assigned Bylayer.

-Tested in a brand new drawing.

-Tested using three different printers all of which are capable of printing in color.

-Object layer is not turned off nor is it frozen.

-Printer icon in Layer Property Manager does not have a diagonal red line through it.

-Verified that acad.ctb has properties color set to "Use object color".

-Tested by assigning other colors to layer and plotting. Objects are seen in plot preview in their assigned color and they print out as well.

Lastly, just for the heck of it, I created another layer and set the color value to "10" which when viewed appears to be exactly like the color "red". Copied the objects on my red layer to this new layer and changed their layer property. Plotted the drawing with the same objects side-by-side and only those on the layer assigned the color of "10" appeared in the preview and plotted out just fine.

You be the judge. Did I miss something? Bug or quirk? I'm thinking quirk but I don't have a clue as to what changed.

That's all folks.

Hi ReMark

As you know I don't have AutoCAD any more and am using DraftSight (the free version) but I chooser a new layer go to line color and select red every works fine then.

I am sure you have checked this but thought I would mention it.

Have you tried on other versions? How will it be in 2014?

I can check tomorrow for 2018.

Attach a sample file for verification.

As I noted I did test on two different versions.....2017 & 2018.

Here is a copy of the test drawing saved in 2010 file format.

Red Alert Test.dwg

This is a screen shot of the test drawing created in and plotted from model space.

Red Alert Test drawing.jpg

And this is a screen shot of the Preview window prior to printing the drawing.

Red Alert Test preview.jpg

Hi ReMark

As you know I don't have AutoCAD any more and am using DraftSight (the free version) but I chooser a new layer go to line color and select red every works fine then.

I am sure you have checked this but thought I would mention it.

99% of the time I assign color to layers and not to individual objects such as lines. I will break from this habit if I am doing something I expect to be temporary and usually do not save the drawing.

Will have a look tonight on 2018 we use red all the time. Maybe try another ctb, Oh we do have Red set to black, will check that also. 2016 is ok set Red to Red not black appeared in preview.

Checked 2018 worked OK made sure "By Colour"

Edited by BIGAL

2018 - no problem

2016 - no problem

2015 - no problem

Try to create a new user in Windows. Start AutoCAD 2018 and check the print. If there is no problem, then you need to reinstall the AutoCAD and clean the registry.

Plotting to PDF is of no concern as I rarely if ever have a need to do so.

I rarely utilize screening but I'll check the property when I fire up AutoCAD this morning.

Ladies and Gentlemen....we have a WINNER!

I checked the Plot Style Table Editor and the Screening value for Color 1 (red) and found it to be set to "1" instead of "100". I am not even sure when or why I made that change but thanks to eldon's good eyesight the problem is now resolved.

eldon: If you PM me with your name and address I will send you enough money (U.S. dollars) to cover the cost of the first pint next time you visit your favorite pub. Thank you!

ReMark

The satisfaction of occasionally getting it right, surpasses all. Thank you for the offer.

Nicely done eldon! :beer:

The added satisfaction of getting it right, when it is for ReMark, who so tirelessly helps so many others, makes it all the sweeter. :)